No 3rd gear

9 replies to this topic
  • rick wellsy

Posted October 13, 2010 - 03:27 PM

I have a 2003 WR450F. When in 3rd gear the motor revs up but transmission wont engage, 1st, 2nd, 4th & 5th gear are working perfectially fine but when I shift up to 3rd from 2nd gear there is nothing there. I can feel it going into 3rd but when I get on the fuel, it will rev up and catch every now and then. Before I break it down, would this be a clutch issue or a transmission problem. i am hoping a clutch problem but my gut is telling me that its deeper than that. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Rick

• crossedup1

Posted October 13, 2010 - 07:27 PM

hate to be the barer of bad news BUT It is a trans. problem, you need a new 3rd 5th gear set and likely a shift fork or 2 and if you are real unlucky an output shaft. But u gotta tear it down to diagnose it. Tear it down or if u dont feel comfortable have it done. Your lookin at spendin some coins

• rick wellsy

Posted October 15, 2010 - 06:04 PM

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I may tear it down this weekend. Sounds like a good winter project.

• crossedup1

Posted October 15, 2010 - 06:15 PM

ya, I like the way you think HAHA

• hondawhore

Posted October 17, 2010 - 12:46 PM

Eugene!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rick wellsy

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:14 PM

Well its not a clutch problem. Just installed a new EBC clutch and still have the same p[roblem with 3rd gear. Looks like I am tearing it down.

• matt4x4

Posted October 28, 2010 - 06:50 AM

Relatively cheap fix - gears don't cost that much, just a bit time consuming because you have to tear it right down to the guts.
Check ALL your dogs and holes for wear - that's where your problem likely lies, Dogs do not protrude square off the gear, they widen slightly as they protrude, giving them a bit of an angle to help facilitate the "bite" once they engage with the hole. Holes are relatively square to the gear but check for wear at the outer edges (where the dog would skip if it is not engaging fully). Usually, a slipping gear like what you're experiencing can cause pressure on the shift forks, so inspect your shift forks carefully while you are at it and replace any with signs of wear or deformation.

• rick wellsy

Posted October 29, 2010 - 03:25 PM

Just finished tearing it apart. Shift fork 3 ® is showing lots of sign of wear on one side. Other than that all the gears are not showing any sign of wear or tear, Shift cam and segment are in excellent shape. Think I will order a new shift fork and put her back together. Hopefully that will fix my problem. Will let you know how I make out with it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 29, 2010 - 06:03 PM

Just finished tearing it apart. Shift fork 3 ® is showing lots of sign of wear on one side. Other than that all the gears are not showing any sign of wear or tear, Shift cam and segment are in excellent shape. Think I will order a new shift fork and put her back together. Hopefully that will fix my problem. Will let you know how I make out with it.

What about the shift drum?

• MaxPower

Posted October 29, 2010 - 06:03 PM

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I think the WR is such a hard motor to work on I would replace the high wear 3-5 gears and the forks too
[/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.