tell me why i should buy a yamaha..?

13 replies to this topic
  • MX210

Posted October 13, 2010 - 03:17 PM

ive owned hondas and yamahas and a few kawis. im looking to buy an 01+ bike. im stuck between the honda and the yami. without being BIASED, i would like to know what you like better about the yami than the honda, what is better than the honda. have any of you ownder or ridden both? what are your thoughts?

• Dylan8kawasaki

Posted October 13, 2010 - 03:20 PM

the honda doesn't handle as well, but the the yz-f has a weaker motor. They're both really reliable except for the older honda 4-strokes which dropped valves pretty frequently...

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2010 - 03:25 PM

Number one biggest reason I ride one is durability. KYB suspension isn't a bad thing, either, but Honda's using that now, too.

• MX210

Posted October 13, 2010 - 04:02 PM

i do like the fact in that the yz motors were always reliable. im 5'10" 195ibs(all muscle) i just feel that the crf fits me better because it is more compact. the yz does feel a little big on me. how does the yz handle in the air? turns? etc?

• ron_m

Posted October 13, 2010 - 04:11 PM

As a Honda and Yamaha owner, I must say that I have had good luck with both brands. Overall, I am just slightly partial to Yamahas. However, there really hasn't been any significant differences in the ownership experience between the two makes for me. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't rule out any of the other brands either. The modern era bikes are all pretty good as long as they are maintained properly. I'm sure that I would be just as happy with a KTM or Suzuki. Each brand has their strengths and weaknesses.

• MX210

Posted October 13, 2010 - 08:42 PM

i meant 10 + sorry!!

• Polar_Bus

Posted October 14, 2010 - 08:24 AM

Honda...... Yamaha....... Pepsi..... Coke..... same thing. At my riding ability I only notice very subtile differences bewteen the two. I could be very happy with either.

For me all boils down to how easy it is for me to get quick service and or parts. My local Yamaha dealer is 10 min away from my house. And they are an excellent dealer at that...

I dealt with my local Honda dealer which is 45 min away, and the parts manager could not find the exhaust gaskets p/n for a '75 CB750... :smirk: . had a bad taste in my mouth thereafter...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gizler00

Posted October 14, 2010 - 09:33 AM

I have always had the best luck with Yamaha's. Kawasaki's were a nightmare of problems for me inthe past, Hondas' never really appealed to me (knew to many people with valve issues) Suzuki's never owned one and dont plan on it.

• gfmoto

Posted October 14, 2010 - 07:30 PM

I've had three crf 450's and three yamaha 450's IF maintained properly both will last a long time (i.e. regular oil and air filter changes) the honda's have a stronger stock motor, turn better and feel a bit lighter. The yamaha's have better stock suspension, brakes and better reliablity. I presume your buying used in and if that is the case buy the best maintained low hour motorcycle you can find. Good Luck!

• osheen

Posted October 15, 2010 - 08:05 AM

Both are fine machines on the track/trail or wherever you are riding.

However, IMO, the Yamaha is much easier to work on. ex- getting to the carb, engine removal, subframe installation (Hard to get Honda air boot on the carb and even see if it's on all the way).

But...The worst thing about the Honda is the air filter! This is something you have to deal with constantly-
It's the same size as the air box it goes into and the cage looks like it belongs on an old XR model. There is no way to put a clean filter in it without rubbing the filter all over the inside of the airbox. Once it's in, it's hard to reach around and feel if it's in place too. I'm all about keeping the airbox clean, but with a Honda you must have it surgically clean to keep from knocking dirt into the boot.

Yamaha's filter is smaller, the opening is bigger, the cage is simpler and a blind guy could change it.

That for me is reason enough to go with a Yamaha....

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2010 - 08:13 AM

Since the OP specified he was looking for a '10 model, the air filter issue is an even greater contrast to the Honda.

But a tip for both earlier YZ models and the CRF is to take the oiled and assembled filter/cage/retaining bolt and put the whole thing in a plastic grocery bag, get the filter in place inside the air box, and pull the bag off. No oil on the sub frame, no dirt on the filter. Helps to cut the handles off the bag.

• osheen

Posted October 15, 2010 - 03:18 PM

The shopping bag is a great idea Gray.....

The OP's post says 01+ . But yeah, the '10 Yamaha is entirely different.

ive owned hondas and yamahas and a few kawis. im looking to buy an 01+ bike. im stuck between the honda and the yami. without being BIASED, i would like to know what you like better about the yami than the honda, what is better than the honda. have any of you ownder or ridden both? what are your thoughts?

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 15, 2010 - 03:34 PM

Ok I am convinced - buy Yamaha. I love the part about Honda air-filters - sounds petty but so true.

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2010 - 04:15 PM

The OP's post says 01+ .

His first post did, but then in post #6...

i meant 10 + sorry!!

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.