Making your stock muffler shorter???

9 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted February 23, 2001 - 01:41 PM

I was thinking about cutting off about 3" of my canister on my stock muffler...what got me tinking this is I bent my muffler in a recent crash. And I saw this picture yesterday:
Posted Image

Have any of you guys done this (obviously this guy did since that is a stock muffler and it is short)? I was thinking since I already have a new R4 on my bike...my stock muffler is just laying there all bent up, do you think modifying it would help it tuck in better, or better bottom end, louder, etc? Cause it looks like you would just have to drill new holes and re rivet it after you use a bansaw to cut the canister! Thanks for your input!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

[This message has been edited by motoman393 (edited 02-23-2001).]

• aag800

Posted February 23, 2001 - 02:01 PM

I used to do it for my YZ 250(2-stroke). For certain tracks I used the shortened silencer for amazing tourqe gains. But for fast stuff, I ran a standard length silencer. Don't know if this theory works for the 4-strke, but it was night and day on the 250! Hope this helps! Later!

• MXOldtimer

Posted February 23, 2001 - 07:21 PM

Hey since your old muff is just sitting there and is still in one piece you have a great opportunity to have a modified stock verses a R4 test. You could cut 1 inch off then run them back to back with the R4 then 2" then 3" and give us a good seat of the pants report, noise, torque,over rev, & etc.

Doug

• motoman393

Posted February 23, 2001 - 07:31 PM

yeah that is what I was planning on doing (I even got a new exhaust gasket on the way)! The stock muffler is already great but it could have more bottom (so you can bog it around the track like on the R4) w/little sacrifice on top! I already measured my R4 canister and a WB shorty canister and have made marks w/a pencil on my stock one...all i need to do is start hacking away! LOL

Garrett

• yzf

Posted February 25, 2001 - 02:05 PM

that could be a white bros e series with the curved end cap in the pic

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted February 25, 2001 - 04:59 PM

no...that is a stock muffler because the dump tip is integrated in by rivets (look closely) and it also doesnt have the e series logo! And it is also a tad bit shorter than the WB

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• forloop

Posted February 26, 2001 - 12:14 PM

For a car. The less back pressure you have the more top end you will get. I would guess that this would be the case if you shortened the stock exhaust.

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• Clod_Thrower

Posted February 26, 2001 - 06:36 PM

I agree , My buddy just bought Pro Circut System for his 2-stroke (3in shorter)& he says it has more on top. My 426 has Eseries shorty & it did not help bottom but it feels better on top.

• yzf

Posted March 05, 2001 - 03:25 PM

i have the wb pro meg and it looks exactly the same INCLOUDIND THE RIVETS and the length

• yzf

Posted March 05, 2001 - 03:32 PM

[opps you were right i took a closer look and i could not see the mounting bolts as on my wb end cap it must be stock shortend mine does have the rivets though

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.