anybody try a 20" front on 426 yet??

5 replies to this topic
  • cthomas

Posted February 23, 2001 - 06:46 AM

Was wondering how big a difference it makes and if it is worth the effort. I need a new front rim soon and might try the 20".

• lump-dog

Posted February 24, 2001 - 12:11 AM

I rode an '01 yz125 and an '01 cr125, both with 20" fronts, a couple of weeks ago. I was so amazed how good they worked I bought a 20" for my stroker the next day! For background, the guy who owns the 125's has been riding for 30 years (used to have factory rides with kawasaki and honda back in his "prime", now does r&d for his own product line), and in his own opinion, says "the 20" front wheel is as revolutionary to the sport as the monoshock was 20 years ago!" I wasn't riding then, but I respect his opinion. I should have mine laced up and ready to go for practice this Thursday (I was sent the wrong spokes, the correct ones are on the way). I'll let you know how it goes.

[This message has been edited by lump-dog (edited 02-24-2001).]

• cthomas

Posted February 26, 2001 - 02:43 PM

So far I have heard very good opinions on this. Though none have been on a 426 yet. I hear that they are even more likely to benifit than the lighter bikes. I would like to hear from you when you get some time on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ToddW

Posted February 27, 2001 - 03:51 PM

Search for (20" Front Wheel) and read my review on the 20 incher.

Good Luck,

• G-Man

Posted February 27, 2001 - 09:39 PM

At the Phx SX Dunlap had a display and I have been curious about the height difference.
Side by side, with tires on the 20" is still smaller OD even with the larger profile of the tire. honda compensated for this by making a longer fork upper leg. So my concern is if you already run your forks nearly flush with the top triple clamp for stability at speed will the smaller 20 incher induce headshake?

I'd like to try the 20 incher too if it's negligent as I like the extra meat of the 20.

• wpattison

Posted March 08, 2001 - 12:29 PM

i just built a 20" front for my '99 yz400 that i rebuilt over the winter to be my new cross country bike. i've ridden it 3x now, and i like it plenty. sticks good. the only negative is that i have to be more aggressive in the ruts, but that's ok- i need to do that anyhow.

will pattison
racer, engineer

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.