I have never fouled plugs

4 replies to this topic
  • yzernie

Posted February 23, 2001 - 02:04 AM

I just found this site yesterday and am impressed by the by all of the kind people who have replied to questions.
I have a 98 YZ400 and am going to pick up my 01 YZ426 this morning. I have never fouled a plug on my 400. I am a bit concerned after I read all of the posts regarding fouled plugs on the 01 426.

1. What causes the fouling?
2. What is he solution?

I do know that the air filter (when freshly oiled) can cause some difficult starting. I
cannot believe that the 426 would be that much different than my 400.

• mm

Posted February 23, 2001 - 03:17 AM

yzernie,

Let me start by saying I have owen and wrenched on 6 yz400/426's and untill the latest '01 426 I/we had never fouled a plug.
My son picked this last one up in Colorado
and it has fouled plugs and didn't run right
at all untill the needle was changed. It still has fouled plugs but runs ok now.
My borther has an 01 also and has not had
any problems at all.

What I'm trying to say is it's the luck of
of the draw. And hopefully yours will be a
good one. There is no dout there are
some bad ones there, most in Colorado from
what I'v read. Good luck,

MM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted February 23, 2001 - 05:04 AM

MM,
Did you have to go to a bigger or smaller needle?
Ernie

• mikeolichney

Posted February 23, 2001 - 10:43 PM

I never fouled a plug in 2 years of riding my 99. Changed the plug once for the fun of it. My 01 would foul a plug every 10 minutes or so, no matter what I did to jet. Since my new CDI, the bike has run perfectly. Starts first kick and never a fouled plug. Yes I am in CO, but I bought the bike mail order from the Great Outdoor store in TN.

• mm

Posted February 23, 2001 - 05:50 PM

Originally posted by yzernie:
MM,
Did you have to go to a bigger or smaller needle?
Ernie

yzernie,

The needle was leaner but I don't know the
exact size. The shop in Boulder put it in
and they had been working with yamaha. So
with any luck your bike should be fine.

MM

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.