So Cal WR suspension tuner

55 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 22, 2010 - 05:21 PM

:excuseme::thumbsup::smirk:

Now we need to Krannie happy. The boy is long overdue. :lol:

Hey, I think that comment might get mis-interpreted.............

• beezer

Posted October 23, 2010 - 04:44 AM

85% of the time the shim shuffler makes the suspension worse.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 25, 2010 - 06:38 AM

Hey, I think that comment might get mis-interpreted.............

:lol: :excuseme: Ouch :smirk:

• JDLowrance

Posted October 25, 2010 - 11:03 AM

Krannie,

Any luck with Factory Connection?

Just spent the weekend up at Gorman enjoying some of the best riding conditions I've ever experienced up there and the bike worked amazingly well. Very happy with the suspension now!

John

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 25, 2010 - 05:37 PM

Krannie,

Any luck with Factory Connection?

Just spent the weekend up at Gorman enjoying some of the best riding conditions I've ever experienced up there and the bike worked amazingly well. Very happy with the suspension now!

John

I ordered front and rear springs before talking to FC, or corresponding with DJ about suspension. They both arrived, are installed, but have not had a chance to ride yet (bad cold). I'm interested to see how the stock damping will work with the stiffer springs. .52/6.0

• JDLowrance

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:34 AM

The .52s up front might be ok (I'm 6'2" 250lbs and run 0.50s) but I think you are going to have a hard time getting adequate sag numbers with the 6.0 on the rear. Pretty sure you'll be needing at least a 6.3kg/mm shock spring.

Good luck, John

• SXP

Posted October 26, 2010 - 11:52 AM

The .52s up front might be ok (I'm 6'2" 250lbs and run 0.50s) but I think you are going to have a hard time getting adequate sag numbers with the 6.0 on the rear. Pretty sure you'll be needing at least a 6.3kg/mm shock spring.

Good luck, John

That's what I said about the '03 when I sold Bill a 6.3, but he found it way too stiff and I bought it back. I also believe a 6.0 will be too soft for a 265 lb rider, but.....:excuseme:

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2010 - 01:15 PM

It seems to me that I put a 6.0 on an '06 YZ450 for a friend who weighed about 260 or so (his choice of springs), and he was pretty happy with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 26, 2010 - 02:19 PM

That's what I said about the '03 when I sold Bill a 6.3, but he found it way too stiff and I bought it back. I also believe a 6.0 will be too soft for a 265 lb rider, but.....:excuseme:

What can I say. I'm a "light" heavyweight. And I sit on the gas cap.
I set it up on Saturday, and got 1" / 4" sag numbers no sweat.

Edited by Krannie, October 26, 2010 - 06:02 PM.

• JDLowrance

Posted October 26, 2010 - 05:33 PM

It seems to me that I put a 6.0 on an '06 YZ450 for a friend who weighed about 260 or so (his choice of springs), and he was pretty happy with it.

I'm not surprised he was happy. That 6.0 would bave been way better than the 5.5 that came stock. Doesn't meaan he was getting proper sag numbers.

John

• SXP

Posted October 26, 2010 - 08:01 PM

What can I say. I'm a "light" heavyweight. And I sit on the gas cap.
I set it up on Saturday, and got 1" / 4" sag numbers no sweat.

Bill - Beats the heck out of me how you do it:thinking: On both my 99 and my neighbors 03 we couldn't get a 6.0 to work without dialing in more than 15 mm of preload. We both weighed about 245 at that time. I ran a 6.0 on my 07 while I weighed about 235 and now run a 5.8 at 210 lb.

How much preload did you have to dial in?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2010 - 05:55 AM

Bill - Beats the heck out of me how you do it:thinking: On both my 99 and my neighbors 03 we couldn't get a 6.0 to work without dialing in more than 15 mm of preload. We both weighed about 245 at that time. I ran a 6.0 on my 07 while I weighed about 235 and now run a 5.8 at 210 lb.

How much preload did you have to dial in?

I did not measure, but it was probably 25mm. The stock spring needed 50mm.
I did not know there was an issue with pre-load distance as long as you got your sag numbers.
I imagine the pre-load brings in issues with the first few inches of travel?

• SXP

Posted October 27, 2010 - 06:44 AM

I did not measure, but it was probably 25mm. The stock spring needed 50mm.
I did not know there was an issue with pre-load distance as long as you got your sag numbers.
I imagine the pre-load brings in issues with the first few inches of travel?

My understanding of dialing in your rear suspension is you don't want to exceed 15 mm (my memory is suspect here, but I believe that's the right number) of pre-load to get to your ideal sag. If you do, you really need a spring with a higher spring rate. I seem to remember seeing these instructions included with both Eibach and RaceTech springs that I've purchaced NIB in the past. I've always used this 15 mm max pre-load guideline when setting up my bikes and as a result have always found the various on-line calculator recommendation (including RaceTech's) coming up with a spring rate that was way too soft for me, i.e., if I used their recommendations I ended up with way more than 15 mm of pre-load:banghead:.

Here's a thread from many years ago that kinda chronicles my frustration with this issue: http://www.thumperta...3083&highlight=

Edited by SXP, October 27, 2010 - 07:05 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2010 - 07:26 AM

Pre-load is limited by the springs minimum compressed length vs. shock travel. The idea is to avoid coil binding the spring. It is not a good way to gauge spring rate that I know of, however. That is better done by comparing the race or rider sag with the static or free sag. The basic rule of thumb is that if you have 100mm of sag with the rider aboard, you should have 25mm of sag under the bike's own weight alone. These numbers are subject to some variance from one model to another, and for different riders and situations, but you get the idea. If that comes out right and the spring was made correctly, the preloaded length will be in the right range.

http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2010 - 09:37 AM

My understanding of dialing in your rear suspension is you don't want to exceed 15 mm (my memory is suspect here, but I believe that's the right number) of pre-load to get to your ideal sag. If you do, you really need a spring with a higher spring rate. I seem to remember seeing these instructions included with both Eibach and RaceTech springs that I've purchaced NIB in the past. I've always used this 15 mm max pre-load guideline when setting up my bikes and as a result have always found the various on-line calculator recommendation (including RaceTech's) coming up with a spring rate that was way too soft for me, i.e., if I used their recommendations I ended up with way more than 15 mm of pre-load:banghead:.

Here's a thread from many years ago that kinda chronicles my frustration with this issue: http://www.thumperta...3083&highlight=

Yes, and with Ractechs calculator, 260=6.0kg on my wr450.

It sure doesn't seem like the spring is overly pre-loaded, but what do i know.

I'm tryin it!

• SmittysWR

Posted December 03, 2010 - 08:09 PM

great info here:thumbsup: Has anyone used Too Tech Suspension in Torrance Ca? I bought my 05 WR and it had been done by them. I still need to dial it in but the shocks feel good. Im rather new to the sport so getting it dialed in is not so easy, hence the reason im here, to learn!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.