Here's My Story

2 replies to this topic
  • tl1000rlt

Posted October 11, 2010 - 04:01 PM

I am 43 years old and decided to get back into riding a couple of months ago.
I was sure I wanted a 2 stroke but I came across a great deal on a 03 yz450f and I figured I could ride it a bit, doll it up, sell it for more and get on with my 2 stroke aspirations. To make a long story a little shorter, I fell in love. So much so that I want a newer version to customize to my size and style.
Here is my current dilema. I like to jump and ride on MX tracks a bit but i also favor trail riding and its a little easier on my aging frame. The yz is a little high strung for technical stuff on trails and I dont want to completely change, and sink a lot of money into this bike, when I want a newer one. My eyes have turned to the WR450. I see it as a little more trail savy with better gearing and prolly the heavier flywheel to make it smoother over transitions. That leaves me with one concern. How will it handle the occasional romp on the MX track? Is the suspension going to handle some of the larger jumps if I just re-spring it for my weight? Is there a downside to my plan? Am I correct in assuming that the WR is still a beast like the yz and will have all the power I need?
For reference I am 6'4" 235 lbs and a decent rider. I also like the idea of having a kickstand and a headlight might come in handy at my buddies farm. Elec. starter doesnt matter, 20-30 lbs. more bike should not be a real problem for me to handle, its still lighter than my first bicycle. Is there any other considerations I am missing?
I appreciate your thoughts and help with this decision.
Also I would be looking at getting one of the left over 09's that I see on the net to save some money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted October 11, 2010 - 05:43 PM

I replied in the YZF forum, but wanted to ask: have you given up on the 250 two stroke aspirations?

• tl1000rlt

Posted October 11, 2010 - 06:54 PM

Well I cant say that I have given up, Its just not my priority anymore. I like the broad range of the four stroke and I'm just thinking I want my next bike to be more trail oriented. I dont want to give up the ability to run over the jumps on the mx track. Not to compete at mx but want to comply. If that makes sense.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.