Need Advise on my 450

29 replies to this topic
  • Gizler00

Posted October 11, 2010 - 12:24 PM

Ok. First off im not trying to post an ad on here. I have one in the classifieds. I have a deal worked out with a guy to trade machines plus a little cash. I have an 08 yz450F with 35.7 hrs on it and alot of upgrades like exhaust, bars, graphics, chain and sprockets, seat, grips, and on and on. I really want a 2stroke again. I have had them for 20+ years and want to get back to it. I have a guy that has an 04 CR250 that he would trade plus 1500 for mine. His machine has exhaust, bars, vforce etc.. He also has the title for it. Im not sure if this is a good deal or not. My bike is really clean with low hours on it and the cr looks to be decent. Im really a yamaha guy at heart and would love a yz but never owned an alum frame CR. Any thoughs? oh yeah and here are pics of both.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Am I crazy and stupid to ditch mine for this thing? It also has a new top-end in it. Let me know guys

• Steel Panther

Posted October 11, 2010 - 12:42 PM

get a yz250 :smirk:

• Gizler00

Posted October 11, 2010 - 12:53 PM

See, thats what I was thinking. I never really cared for honda's and always had YZ's. I literally had 4 yz250's in the last 15yrs. I guess I just need to hold out until I can sell mine or find a decent 05+yz250 trade

• Steel Panther

Posted October 11, 2010 - 10:05 PM

06+ yz250 if you can find one, they come with the same sss forks that are on your 08

• stroker101

Posted October 11, 2010 - 11:02 PM

i wouldn't trade...hold off for a 06-09 yamaha yz250y

• Gizler00

Posted October 12, 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thats what Im going to do. Im holding out for what I really want so I told the guy to forget it. Thanks for the extra little push of making me realize thats what I should do. :smirk::thumbsup:

• gscx

Posted October 12, 2010 - 02:29 PM

He is paying you cash right? If so take that money and revalve the suspension and get some port work done on the cylinder. Check out the thread called budget cr250 bike or something like that. The CR handles better than the YZ, which is the most important anyway. But the poster of the thread was 2strokenut. And he says it is just about as good as his yz and kx 250 where. Just some food for thought

• cdc351jeferson

Posted October 13, 2010 - 02:43 AM

The newer Honda 250 smokers are dogs they have no power rc power valve is horrible . With that said hey handle awesome and the suspension is plush . But if you get a 08 yamaha the suspension is just as good if not better

• tomyz450

Posted October 13, 2010 - 02:38 PM

had a 01 cr,loved it. o4 motor not as good as 01. now have 07 yz 450 no way would i ever go back.

• Gizler00

Posted October 13, 2010 - 07:48 PM

I have heard that about the 03+ cr's. Im just not so sure about this 450. One day im all pumped up about it and the next im not so sure. And trying to sell its becoming a headache. I have it down to 3500 and its frustrating because its so clean and has alot done to it. BUt the bike market is down now and its not helping that there are stock 08's in the surrounding area going as cheap as 2900$$ :smirk:

So.. The confusion of what to do still goes on. In just wating for a bite on the sale or trade, and until then ill just try to enjoy it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gscx

Posted October 13, 2010 - 07:51 PM

Wait, have you ridden the 02 to 07 cr250s? That will mean alot more than what people on the internet say

• Gizler00

Posted October 13, 2010 - 08:08 PM

I have ridden an 02 but nothing newer. But quite honestly my heart is set on another 06+ yz 250 or a KTM. Just waiting out the storm of getting rid of it. Or magically waking up liking this thing enough to keep it.

• cdc351jeferson

Posted October 14, 2010 - 02:27 AM

Well its definatly about what you want for example I came off a yz250 03 model and that thigh ripped but I love my 10 yz450f and wouldn't trade or do anything different . It's hard to sell a 4 stroke sometimes cause the buyer never knows the condition of the head . A smoker will usually need a top end but its so cheap who cares . Hope u get what you want bro either way your bike is clean

• Gizler00

Posted October 14, 2010 - 08:15 AM

I Hope it sells either way. But if not I might just put a litle into it to make it more interesting for me. Like flywheel weight, skid plate, 52t sprocket, and hope that it makes it more fun to ride for me.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it.:smirk:

• Gizler00

Posted October 17, 2010 - 03:59 PM

Ok. So I found a trade but not sure what to do. It is an 09 yz250. Here are some pics and some info from the seller. Let me know what I should do. It would be a straight trade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seller states:
I bought the bike from the original owner who is a friend last year he only rode trails on it. The bike has always been maintained oil changed after every three rides, air cleaner after every ride, and iv always mixed the gas 40:1. The only thing that the bike needs is new tires the front tire is pretty much shot and the back is close to it, other then that is needs nothing!

Hour meter shows 30.5 hrs
Ported and polished head with 5 hours on a new wiscoe pro lite piston(25hrs)
I had the bottum end split and re-geared so it has more bottum end(25hrs)
Boysen clutch cover- With Hynson plates and heavy springs
CRS suspension set up for a 160-180lb rider
Full Pro circuit exhaust w/ works header and R304 silencer. I also have a sparky
Pro taper bars- stock bend with pillow grips
Black pro wheels w/ stock hubs
Pro wheel holeshot device
OEM chain and sporcket (went from a 51 tooth in the back to a 49)
Victory Circle graphics
Newer brake pads
Just replaced the fork seals
It is a sweet bike always starts and idles perfect and it is a fast bike as well.

I really want to but need some encouragement.
Thanks guys

• crf450319

Posted October 17, 2010 - 04:49 PM

If that's what you want, then I say - go for it !! The only thing I wonder about are the "internal gears" that the guy changed for more bottom end. Changing gears in the trans. might be exactly what he wanted, but might be totally wrong for your likes. I'd say a test ride is in order...

• Gizler00

Posted October 17, 2010 - 05:09 PM

That was what I was worried about. I'm not sure about it. He rode motocross mostly and I ride woods, so bottom end is a plus. But I really want another yz 2t

• Gizler00

Posted October 17, 2010 - 08:40 PM

The re gearing. It also makes me worry that the cases were split already. I mean people just dont split the cases to get more bottom end. I have had 2t's all my life and if I wanted more bottom end I Looked at pipe options, Gearing, and bore kits. They are alot cheaper and alot less time consuming.
Any advice is appreciated.

• Gizler00

Posted October 17, 2010 - 08:42 PM

Plus theres no title with the sale.

• grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2010 - 09:03 PM

Plus theres no title with the sale.

And why would that be? :excuseme:

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.