2010 valve clearance reports?

19 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted October 11, 2010 - 05:31 AM

I'm coming up on 20hrs and figure its time for a valve check if I have time this weekend. Was just wondering if anyone has had to shim these things yet or if they are like the good old 5 valve heads?

I plan to reuse cover gasket anyone have problems with tearing during removal? (I'm being a tight wad and gasket isn't leaking)

• aedwards07

Posted October 11, 2010 - 07:03 AM

Havent had to shim mine yet and im at 98hours.

• tech24

Posted October 11, 2010 - 07:19 AM

Havent had to shim mine yet and im at 98hours.

Nice, now I wonder if I should even bother checking especially since it doesn't get ridden hard

• grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2010 - 08:47 AM

If you've never checked, you should.

• tech24

Posted October 11, 2010 - 08:49 AM

Yeah I will for at least piece of mind and as always maint is cheaper. For my riding I figure every 20hrs should be plenty but I haven't done it since break in so it really needs checked.

• fraser

Posted October 14, 2010 - 02:49 PM

Checked mine at 30 hours, no movement at all. They were perfect

• tech24

Posted October 15, 2010 - 04:05 AM

Checked mine at 30 hours, no movement at all. They were perfect

I think that will be the same for me, gonna check her out tomorrow

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 15, 2010 - 03:45 PM

Tech24 - noticed you have a 2004 YZ450F too - how does the 2010 Low to mid range power hit compare?

Once I read all the reports about the off-idle hard power hit I tough "that sounds just like my 2004 bike". All the 06-09 YZ450's are nice and mellow.

• tech24

Posted October 20, 2010 - 04:13 AM

Checked my valves and they are in spec. On a side note checked all my inkage bearings too and was suprised to find a nice amount of grease from the factory and they were in great condition.

Tech24 - noticed you have a 2004 YZ450F too - how does the 2010 Low to mid range power hit compare?

Once I read all the reports about the off-idle hard power hit I tough "that sounds just like my 2004 bike". All the 06-09 YZ450's are nice and mellow.

The off idle hit on the 2010 is nothing like any other yz. Its not really power its a combination of instant throttle response from FI and throttle body design and low inertia from a light crank and flywheel.

The '04 is has a way more explosive power feel and broader powerband but may not be faster or have more power.

• brentn

Posted October 20, 2010 - 12:20 PM

Has anyone re-used the head cover gasket on their 2010 after checking the valves and not had a leak?

I'm almost at 20 hours, thinking I should check at that point but not until I order a new gasket first unless someone tells me otherwise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted October 21, 2010 - 04:40 AM

Has anyone re-used the head cover gasket on their 2010 after checking the valves and not had a leak?

I'm almost at 20 hours, thinking I should check at that point but not until I order a new gasket first unless someone tells me otherwise.

I reused it with no problem. It was in great shape and after looking at it I can't figure how any have torn or had any leaks. I just scrapped the gray sealant and used right stuff in its place.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 22, 2010 - 01:29 PM

I reused it with no problem. It was in great shape and after looking at it I can't figure how any have torn or had any leaks. I just scrapped the gray sealant and used right stuff in its place.

I need to check mine since I have 28 hours on mine. What did you mean "used right stuff",is that some type of sealant?

• brentn

Posted October 23, 2010 - 10:56 AM

Hi temp RTV orange or equiv

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 23, 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi temp RTV orange or equiv

Oh!! I see

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2010 - 05:33 PM

It's not just Hi Temp silly sealer, it's a duplicate of the RTV sealer used at GM dealers, and a big improvement on normal silicones.

http://www.permatex....asket_Maker.htm

I don't use any gasket sealer on the cam cover, and I've never replaced one except during a rebuild. The 2010 has been problematic, though, so I'd be more prone to stick it down with something. "Right Stuff" might work for that because it's that much better, but "normal" silicones in general are not well suited for sealing gaskets.

• brentn

Posted October 23, 2010 - 08:45 PM

Good to know that you don't have to use it, it can get messy real quick, especially the orange crap on aluminum colored parts...
I did a bunch of reading before I got my bike about the cam cover issue with the 2010, alot of people started seeing leaks right away, some people were seeing them at the same time interval and they already had replaced it 3 times!
So far I have noticed no leaks at all on my own, seems to be a completely hit and miss issue with the 2010's...

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 24, 2010 - 06:17 AM

Good to know that you don't have to use it, it can get messy real quick, especially the orange crap on aluminum colored parts...
I did a bunch of reading before I got my bike about the cam cover issue with the 2010, alot of people started seeing leaks right away, some people were seeing them at the same time interval and they already had replaced it 3 times!
So far I have noticed no leaks at all on my own, seems to be a completely hit and miss issue with the 2010's...

Mine hasnt been leaking either but I havnt had the valve cover off yet also.

• tech24

Posted October 25, 2010 - 04:19 AM

It's not just Hi Temp silly sealer, it's a duplicate of the RTV sealer used at GM dealers, and a big improvement on normal silicones.

http://www.permatex....asket_Maker.htm

I don't use any gasket sealer on the cam cover, and I've never replaced one except during a rebuild. The 2010 has been problematic, though, so I'd be more prone to stick it down with something. "Right Stuff" might work for that because it's that much better, but "normal" silicones in general are not well suited for sealing gaskets.

you don't use it on the cam plugs? Thats the only place i use it but I guess it should seal without it but sealing cam caps and plugs is imprinted in my brain from autos.

Edited by tech24, October 25, 2010 - 05:51 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2010 - 06:36 AM

If you mean the "half moons" on the left side, no. No sealer. On automotive engines, I used #3 Permatex. Silicone RTV sealers in general are a poor choice for sealing "rubber" gaskets. They're messy and prone to release from the gasket material.

• tech24

Posted October 25, 2010 - 09:44 AM

If you mean the "half moons" on the left side, no. No sealer. On automotive engines, I used #3 Permatex. Silicone RTV sealers in general are a poor choice for sealing "rubber" gaskets. They're messy and prone to release from the gasket material.

Hmm ill try with no sealer next time cause I don't really care for scrapping all that crap out. I use right stuff for everything though never had an issue but it is messy and tends to act more like a lubricant at times.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.