How to fix the '10 YZ450 off idle "lunge"??

14 replies to this topic
  • cdaniels

Posted October 10, 2010 - 07:40 PM

I have a 2010 YZ450 that has about 20 minutes ride time (just goofing off....no racing or riding hard).

Can I use my "tuner" to tune the anoying off idle lunge out of this bike? I'm sure its not as big of a deal while racing, but I'm not always racing....lol

Also.......how do I get more top end punch?.....or do I just short shift to keep it in the meat of the power?

Thanks in advance.

• brentn

Posted October 10, 2010 - 09:26 PM

I have a 2010 YZ450 that has about 20 minutes ride time (just goofing off....no racing or riding hard).

Can I use my "tuner" to tune the anoying off idle lunge out of this bike? I'm sure its not as big of a deal while racing, but I'm not always racing....lol
no. But to answer your topic heading question injectioneering is the company that mods out the TB and resets the TPS to clear up the "2010 lunge"

Also.......how do I get more top end punch?.....or do I just short shift to keep it in the meat of the power?
Yes, it produces the most power in the middle of the RPM range, this is how I ride the bike all the time. I find power is best at the the mid range, high end power doesn't really do much on this bike. Can't lift the front end on the upper RPM range like on a two stroke.
Magazines, other users etc say that running a new pipe will give you more upper range power, but I personally think that it will take a pipe, cams and porting to make good use-able upper rpm power.
I'm no expert, just my two cents

Thanks in advance.

Your welcome

• gfmoto

Posted October 10, 2010 - 09:54 PM

put the "jay marmont" map in and it will pull harder on top and eliminate the herky-jerkeys.

• no air charlie

Posted October 11, 2010 - 12:57 PM

put the "jay marmont" map in and it will pull harder on top and eliminate the herky-jerkeys.

This map really does seem to help. I wouldnt say it totally eliminates the jerky throttle response you get when your putting through the pits in first gear but it helps a lot, and even more so out on the track. Also as stated it does seem to run stronger and "cleaner" at high rpms.

I tried MXA's less hit map and I would say it almost makes the jerkiness worse, seems like it has more engine braking with the throttle off. I also tried the broad powerband map, it helped some with the jerkiness but not as much as the Marmont map and didnt seem to run very strong above the mid range. My bike is stock including exhaust if that helps.

• cdaniels

Posted October 11, 2010 - 01:07 PM

Where do I find this Jay Marmont map?

Thanks guys.

• no air charlie

Posted October 11, 2010 - 01:13 PM

Look at the top of the YZ 450 forum in the "stickies". There is a thread for different maps.

• brentn

Posted October 11, 2010 - 09:45 PM

I use the jay marmont map and it didn't change the off idle lunge at all, just as bad as stock :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eazrider

Posted October 13, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Wade Wilson at Injectioneering cured my 2010 of off idle surge...Send him your throttle body and 256$ (including freight and insurance) and he will send you back a modified throttle body that will change throttle response night and day...

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted October 13, 2010 - 11:32 AM

Wade Wilson at Injectioneering cured my 2010 of off idle surge...Send him your throttle body and 256$ (including freight and insurance) and he will send you back a modified throttle body that will change throttle response night and day...

Yes that mod works very well:thumbsup:

• tech24

Posted October 13, 2010 - 12:31 PM

The injectioneering mod would probably be the best improvment. I run the woods map mostly and it completely eliminates the initial burst off idle. It does kill a little of the power on the very bottom but no too much. Also a slip on will give you some more top end if the appropriate one is used.

• Chazmagnum

Posted October 13, 2010 - 05:11 PM

Ride faster! I'm just sayin...

• tech24

Posted October 14, 2010 - 04:10 AM

Ride faster! I'm just sayin...

smooth power delivery and traction is faster :smirk:

• Scrubba

Posted October 17, 2010 - 12:09 PM

i put a yosh r4 slip on, more power everywhere, still has the lunge, but somehow, not jerky anymore. its great.

• BBrown626

Posted October 18, 2010 - 08:23 PM

I love that instant throttle response. It is smoother than the harsh '04 I used to have, but still snappy. I don't cruise the pits or ride trails though. $256 seems like a lot. A bolt-on flywheel weight might cure it for much less. A remap sounds even better.

• eazrider

Posted October 19, 2010 - 06:17 AM

I love that instant throttle response. It is smoother than the harsh '04 I used to have, but still snappy. I don't cruise the pits or ride trails though. $256 seems like a lot. A bolt-on flywheel weight might cure it for much less. A remap sounds even better.

You are right with the remap...you can tune that surge right on out, but it also takes away the "snap" that everyone loves....The Injectioneering mod should be done before you even get through the first rear tire....:excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.