2006-->2009 refinements

5 replies to this topic
  • rcrob

Posted October 10, 2010 - 07:25 PM

So I am looking for a late model 450 and there is a pretty big price gap between the 2006 through 2009 model years I have tried searching the net and cant really find what the major changes are between the years. Is there anyone that can summarize the changes from 06-09?

• Guntoter534

Posted October 10, 2010 - 07:52 PM

The main changes are exhaust, triple clamps, cams, suspension valving. you can get a 06 to work way better then a stock 09 with some Zipty racing triple clamps and a suspension revalve. If your gettinh one around 2500 its a good deal. It just might need a new top end if it has over 100 hours.

• Steel Panther

Posted October 11, 2010 - 09:18 AM

the 09 also has a completly different swingarm, linkage and wheels that looses a pound or two, looks better, and doesnt have that annoying hole in the swingarm to get to the linkage bolts.

youtube is your friend!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted October 11, 2010 - 06:25 PM

I have owned an '06, an '08, and my son owns an '09.

IMO the '06 had the best motor (smooth, linear power with a strong bottom end) but it's handling left much to be desired. The handling can be improved with the right setup (new clamps, 95mm sag, raising the forks in the clamps 5mm) but it still will not handle like the '08 does right out of the box.

The '08 seems to be the finished product of the '06. The handling and suspension differences are immediately noticeable. It is easier to get the '08 motor to act like the '06 motor than it is to get the '06 to turn like the '08. Swapping out the CDI will pretty much do the trick, but to make it completely like the '06 you would need to add the '06 exhaust cam. In stock form the '08 gives up a little bit on the low end to the '06 but the '08 has stronger top end power. I personally have not felt the need to make either modification.

The '08 (maybe it was '07...?) has addressed a problem in the gearbox that some '06's experienced.

The '09 has the new swingarm and linkage but I have not noticed the rear suspension to be noticeaby better to the '08. The '09 has new triple clamps that have two mounting positions for the bars, which is nice especially if you are taller.

Between the '06 and the '08 I would definitely go with the '08.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 12, 2010 - 01:33 PM

I have owned an '06, an '08, and my son owns an '09.

IMO the '06 had the best motor (smooth, linear power with a strong bottom end) but it's handling left much to be desired. The handling can be improved with the right setup (new clamps, 95mm sag, raising the forks in the clamps 5mm) but it still will not handle like the '08 does right out of the box.

The '08 seems to be the finished product of the '06. The handling and suspension differences are immediately noticeable. It is easier to get the '08 motor to act like the '06 motor than it is to get the '06 to turn like the '08. Swapping out the CDI will pretty much do the trick, but to make it completely like the '06 you would need to add the '06 exhaust cam. In stock form the '08 gives up a little bit on the low end to the '06 but the '08 has stronger top end power. I personally have not felt the need to make either modification.

The '08 (maybe it was '07...?) has addressed a problem in the gearbox that some '06's experienced.

The '09 has the new swingarm and linkage but I have not noticed the rear suspension to be noticeaby better to the '08. The '09 has new triple clamps that have two mounting positions for the bars, which is nice especially if you are taller.

Between the '06 and the '08 I would definitely go with the '08.

Having owned my 06 since new and never having ridden an 07-09, I will say that the stock 06 suspension FLAT SUCKS for woods riding. I know nothing about tuning suspension but it was a hassle to just get this damn thing to go in a straight line. I had the suspension revalved this year and only have 1 ride on it so far but it made a BIG difference in this bike.

• YamaLink

Posted October 12, 2010 - 02:43 PM

The 08 was an incredibly svelte feeling and very, very good turning big bike. I liken it to a big bore 250F with the stock exhaust.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.