ATK 406 Thoughts?

10 replies to this topic
  • Kawboy65

Posted October 10, 2010 - 10:21 AM

First of all, I really love this site...

Next, what are everyone's thoughts on the ATK 406? I have always thought they were really cool, and recently I have decided to start looking for one to add to my collection. I am hoping to find a decent one for a good price and clean it up over the winter months.

I have searched this site, and others, pretty extensively trying to come up with as much info as I can on the air cooled ATK 2 strokes. Even though I have learned a lot, information is still relatively scarce on these bikes. I figured I would ask the members of this board directly my questions and solicite your stories and thoughts. I do have a few specific questions:

Are there any specific areas of concern that I should concentrate on when I look at these bikes?

I have gathered that 1994 was a "redesign" year for these bikes. What were the main differences, and was the new design better?

What were the main differences between the moto and cross country models? I have seen a couple of '94's with street looking tires on them. Was there some kind of DS model available, or is this some home made concoction that a few people tried?

I am thinking that even though these bikes are rare, they really aren't worth any more than a comparable 250 MX bike of the same year, and that $1,200 should buy a really nice '94-96. Am I off base on this?

Thank you in advance for all your help on this!

• 07ATKEnduro

Posted October 10, 2010 - 03:15 PM

The main differences between the 94 and pre 94 bikes are the rear brake is no longer on the countershaft, the air filter is behing the carb, as opposed to on the tank, and the frames are taller. Things to look for on the 94-96 406s are cracks in the frame. on the pre 94 models look out for the countershaft rear brake setup, solid disc overheats very fast. I prefer the pre 94 models and if you can find a 88/89 with the aluminum swingarm that is the ideal one. there are quite a few for sale right now check out http://www.americandirtbike.com and also on the atkbb at http://www.atkmotorsports.com/atkbb.:smirk:

• 72gag

Posted October 11, 2010 - 11:45 AM

you should be able to find one cheap, pre 94's are way better bikes and are the true ATK's

• Kawboy65

Posted October 11, 2010 - 03:56 PM

you should be able to find one cheap, pre 94's are way better bikes and are the true ATK's

Thats how I feel too. I always pictured myself on the pre-94 motocross machines. I liked the (perceived?) innovation, simplicity, and the oddness of them. It seems like they "uninnovated" them with the '94 on years. The only ones that i have seen within a 4 hour drive of me has been the '94 and later cross country models. Although still cool, I think I might keep looking for the earlier model. I don't know...:smirk:

• DR-Z250rider

Posted October 11, 2010 - 03:59 PM

Thats pretty funny I found this thread because I saw one in the Ohio craigslist a few weeks back. It was red white and blue... check the Dayton craigslist or the Cincinati craigslist.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawboy65

Posted October 11, 2010 - 04:27 PM

Thats pretty funny I found this thread because I saw one in the Ohio craigslist a few weeks back. It was red white and blue... check the Dayton craigslist or the Cincinati craigslist.

Yeah, its a'96 Limited Edition cross country. I am waiting for him to send me some better pictures of his bike. Supposedly low hours, really good condition, but I need to see a lot of close ups before I drive all the way across Ohio. Not my first choice, but am still interested for the right price.

Anyone have an idea what a '96 Limited Edition 406 CC would be worth?

• DR-Z250rider

Posted October 11, 2010 - 04:47 PM

Yeah, its a'96 Limited Edition cross country. I am waiting for him to send me some better pictures of his bike. Supposedly low hours, really good condition, but I need to see a lot of close ups before I drive all the way across Ohio. Not my first choice, but am still interested for the right price.

Anyone have an idea what a '96 Limited Edition 406 CC would be worth?

$2000???:smirk:

• 07ATKEnduro

Posted October 11, 2010 - 06:14 PM

If you don't mind going to IL a guy is selling a 89 250 and a 88 406
http://www.americand...m/toppage11.htm

also a 88 on the atk forum.:smirk:

• Rot Box

Posted October 11, 2010 - 10:10 PM

There was a #135 out of 135 96 406 on our local classifieds forever that had an asking price of $1800. It was immaculate and had all the certificates of authenticity. I thought about pulling the trigger a few times, but it was way too clean to ride :p

I would go with the earlier 406's just for the coolness factor :smirk: Keep an eye on the frame--My LQ was a nightmare for frame cracks and I eventually got pissed enough at it that I bailed on it for dirt cheap. Always check the motor mount bolts and make sure they are tight.

• Kawboy65

Posted October 12, 2010 - 04:20 PM

Does anyone know more about the '96 Limited Edition bikes? I have a lead on one, but I don't necessarily think they would be that valuable down the road. I would prefer the earlier models, but would hate to pass on something that later turns out to be a collector item. I still think that $1,200 should buy an exceptionally nice 406, regardless of the year.

• Rot Box

Posted October 12, 2010 - 08:40 PM

I wouldn't buy any ATK expecting it to be a collector item--not within 20 years anyway. I had a very rare kit bike XR/ATK 600 and I couldn't give it away and all the ATK's in the classified are going for dirt cheap if they are even going. But then again that's the way it goes sometimes maybe one day I will regret selling all of mine :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Leaving the 175 and going for the te125 by Mr. Biehl

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Husaberg
  • 1 reply
Reviews

TM MX144 2011 by ThumperTalk

TM MX144 2011
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

TM MX250 2011 by ThumperTalk

TM MX250 2011
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

TM SMR125 2011 by ThumperTalk

TM SMR125 2011
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

New guy with a 2001 tm 125 mx by MarcMB

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Exotics
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.