cleaned the carb and all the jets still hardly runs!

7 replies to this topic
  • 802wrRider

Posted October 09, 2010 - 05:33 PM

ok so the other day i couldnt get my bike to stay running unless i had the choke pulled. everyone i talk to told me a clogged piolet jet was more the likely the suspect. took the carb off and cleaned it very well, took each jet out and blew air through it, re-installed it and still nothing really. it still will only run with the choke on and within 20 seconds or so the first 5 inches of the exhaust header are glowing. what could be my deal? thanks~

• mlynn450

Posted October 09, 2010 - 06:37 PM

I don't know what your elevation is there. I'm at 1100' and run 168 main and 45 pilot. It runs great from about 65 to 90 degrees. When it gets down in the 40s or 50s my bike won't run until I go up to a 170 main and 48 pilot. The cold temp leans it out a good bit. Also have to raise the needle one notch. If its getting cold there this may be your problem. Anyone else experience this problem in colder temp?

• William1

Posted October 10, 2010 - 12:05 AM

Install a NEW pilot jet, not just a cleaned one.

• 802wrRider

Posted October 10, 2010 - 08:54 AM

I don't know what your elevation is there. I'm at 1100' and run 168 main and 45 pilot. It runs great from about 65 to 90 degrees. When it gets down in the 40s or 50s my bike won't run until I go up to a 170 main and 48 pilot. The cold temp leans it out a good bit. Also have to raise the needle one notch. If its getting cold there this may be your problem. Anyone else experience this problem in colder temp?

what do you run for mods. all i have done to mine is the grey wire and a PMB insert. would that jetting work for my setup.?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swinefurthj

Posted October 10, 2010 - 09:10 AM

yea i have a Yamaha WR 426 2001 it over heats and dies it wont start with out the choke even after its been running for about 10 minutes. It will run fine after i kick the shit out of it for like 5 minutes then it starts ****ing up and dieing i don't really know whats wrong someone told me water pump but i just put in a brand new one in or a water pump bearing aint made it that far yet i don't know what to do with the ****ing thing

• mlynn450

Posted October 10, 2010 - 08:36 PM

I have all the free mods and a complete yzf exhaust, and just did a 06 yz exhaust cam this summer. All the mods were done during hot weather and jetted accordingly. I haven't been riding in cold weather yet since the cam swap. I'm not the best person to ask about jetting. I just know the first year I had my wr450(07) in the fall 40 degree weather it was very hard to start and wouldn't keep running, (ran great before it turned cold) so I cleaned the carb twice with no affect. I did a search on here and came across cold weather jetting threads that suggested going up a size on the main and I also ended up a size larger on the pilot to get the fuel screw adjusted properly. Problem solved in my case. If your bike ran ok (as you said in the first thread about this problem) before the weather turned colder this may also be your problem. Just go up one size on your current jetting.

Edited by mlynn450, October 10, 2010 - 08:52 PM.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 11, 2010 - 07:37 AM

ok so the other day i couldnt get my bike to stay running unless i had the choke pulled. everyone i talk to told me a clogged piolet jet was more the likely the suspect. took the carb off and cleaned it very well, took each jet out and blew air through it, re-installed it and still nothing really. it still will only run with the choke on and within 20 seconds or so the first 5 inches of the exhaust header are glowing. what could be my deal? thanks~

I'm guessing that the bike has been sitting for a while. Sometimes spraying carb cleaner and blowing compressed air just isn't good enough. What I do is I take a piece of stranded electrical wire and strip it so that 3-4 individual wires can be seperated and can be inserted into the pilot jet. With the wires inside the pilot jet spray carb cleaner inside and spin the jet with your fingers, you'll be surprised at the stuff that comes out.

Also, I just did a carb cleaning on my bike, I found that the accelerator pump diaphram deteriorated and pieces of rubber were broken off. I had to replace.

Also, make sure that when you re-installed the carb slider you didn't install the plate upside down, easy to do.

• Kyles Dad

Posted October 11, 2010 - 07:05 PM

Make sure that fuel screw didn't fall out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.