Took my cylinder head off. How does it look?

9 replies to this topic
  • - Jake -

Posted October 09, 2010 - 09:46 AM

So I've got this problem where my 03 WR450F won't rev past about 5000rpm.
I've checked everything I can external of the engine and still not found the problem, so today I've stripped the cylinder head down to see if there anything wrong with the piston or the valves.

Although I've stripped loads of two strokes in the past, I've never messed with valves before. The head and valves look fairly OK to me, as far as I can tell, although there's a fair amount of carbon build up.

Anyone see anything obviously wrong here?....

Posted Image

Should I continue and take the valves out? Should I take it to a shop as it is and get the valve seats recut?

Thanks for any advice.

• William1

Posted October 09, 2010 - 11:47 AM

Did you try a new coil and /or stator? It will not be the valves or piston. But since you have the head off you can pour some solvenbt in the head and check for leaks. If you have some leakage, then do the valves. Or do them to be proactive. Unless you own a Serdi valve seat cutter, take it to a shop that does.

• - Jake -

Posted October 09, 2010 - 11:53 AM

No, I haven't tried replacing those. I'm not real happy replacing parts unless I know they are faulty. Spending hundreds to replace parts that are working fine doesn't seem like the way to go.
So you're saying my problem couldn't a sticking valve or somesuch?

• William1

Posted October 09, 2010 - 12:12 PM

Not a valve.

If an engine starts to run poor at high speed, you know you have fresh fuel and a carb in good condition (needle jet emulsion tube not worn), clean air filter, new spark plug, the failure is often the stator and sometimes the coil.

I'd borrow a coil and test ride, if the problem exists still, I'd do the stator. I assume you've checked all connections and they are good. If everything was working fine, your bike would be running good. Something is amiss.

• - Jake -

Posted October 11, 2010 - 02:58 AM

What is the needle jet emulsion tube?
Can you id on here please?

This morning I've bit the bullet and ordered a new plug cap/coil, head gasket and 2x head cover bolts. Only $223 ! :sob:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted October 11, 2010 - 04:00 AM

no. 18

• - Jake -

Posted October 11, 2010 - 04:31 AM

Thanks, GuyGraham.

I've checked that part and it looks completely clear and clean. I don't know how I would tell if it's worn, which William suggests. It appears to be like new.

• William1

Posted October 11, 2010 - 05:22 AM

Very hard to tell it is is worn with the naked eye.

All it needs to be is a few thous worn and it will give you grief. I keep one on hand. Being it is so easy to swap, I pop it in to confirm if it is/is not a problem.

I doubt your problem is the coil.

I would of first tried a new emulsion tube (cheap part), then a stator, then a coil. But I'd first go over every single wire and switch carefully.

• Shred Jesse

Posted October 11, 2010 - 09:33 AM

You can check the stator and coil with a multi-meter and the specs from the service manual, right?

• William1

Posted October 11, 2010 - 10:12 AM

Sadly, the meter tests only tells you if it is completely shot. What happens with stators and the crank position sensor is they begin to fail at high RPM and/or only when hot and over time get worse and worse. It is rare that either it works perfect or fails enough to be out of spec.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.