Silencer repacking

9 replies to this topic
  • Mxer303

Posted February 22, 2001 - 10:46 PM

I noticed that my 00 426 is louder than my friends 01. Is there a way to repack the silencer on it? Rich R. had said that they use a different type of packing on these silencers. Any suggestions?

• Le_Racer

Posted February 22, 2001 - 11:03 AM

Salut!
Repack that silencer, you will notice a much improved response off the low end and gain a little all the way up.
I've used different kind of packing and the best I found is the original Yamaha packing that I got with my 2001, ready to put in with the stainless wool and screen like the one fitted at the factory.
Later

• yzernie

Posted February 22, 2001 - 08:05 PM

I have used stainless steel wool to repack. It works great and lasts 10 times longer than anything else I have tried. It was recommended to me by Larry Roeseler and he knows 4-strokes!! Pack it as tight as possible.
yzernie

• teggers

Posted November 11, 2001 - 10:41 PM

I tried steel wool and it burned right through my pipe, number plate-and stayed burning on the track. It was a night race and at least I got a lot of time on the PA....

Anybody got some real (permanent) ideas/solutions for silencer repacking? I've done it about ten times... I end up just buying somebody's old silencer.

• fershy

Posted November 12, 2001 - 05:24 AM

teggers, next time try stainless steel wool~!
fershy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted November 12, 2001 - 12:36 PM

Originally posted by teggers:
Anybody got some real (permanent) ideas/solutions for silencer repacking

Teggers,

Unfortunately, there is no "permanent" solution for muffler repacking. These bikes put out such a hot exhaust that anything you put in there will have to be replaced eventually. The stainless steel wool will last much longer than any fiber packing....even the Yamaha stuff. I can get about three months out of mine and that includes practicing once or twice a week, play rides with the wife and kid and racing almost every weekend. That is about as "permanent" as you can get.

Ernie

• mxcowboy

Posted November 12, 2001 - 03:26 PM

I just installed the moose racing silent sport repack cartridge and it's working pretty good so far, was easy to install....check it outweb page

• WRFUN

Posted November 13, 2001 - 12:18 PM

Does the YZ pipe have indentation under it for clearence? Need to know before I buy this one.

Pete

• yzernie

Posted November 13, 2001 - 12:54 PM

The mid section should have some indents to clear the frame and subframe. The bottom of the muffler might have a dent on it to clear the rear brake caliper.

Ernie

• WRFUN

Posted November 13, 2001 - 03:53 PM

Thanks Ernie....

Pete

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.