Brakes no stopping power

2 replies to this topic
  • martman100

Posted October 07, 2010 - 06:48 PM

I have an 04 450 and having problems with the front and rear brakes. I have bled them and replaced the fluid completely in them with new fluid. I bought the bike back in March.

Rear Brakes
These guys are bled and seem to have a decent pedal but it is like you have to really push on the lever to get a good grab. The pads are squeezing the rotor it just seems they don't have enough friction. Any ideas? Should I take them off an soak them in some brake cleaner or something.

Front Brakes
The fronts are little different acting. One day they have a good feel but still no gripping power like the rear. The next day the lever will come almost all the way to the bars and still no gripping power.

I am learning to ride a bike and without brakes my confidence isn't that great and I can't get myself to trust the bike.

Looking for ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2010 - 01:27 PM

I think you should start with new pads.

• martman100

Posted October 09, 2010 - 11:17 AM

Pads it is. I actually had an extra set of fronts and didn't realize it. Put them on and whole new ball game. I will get a set of rears. From looking at the pads they didn't seem too bad but since I am a newb to these bikes I noticed the brake pistons and how far they were out and I realized right then that the pads were really worn.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.