2010 xc-low bar specs?

17 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted October 06, 2010 - 07:20 AM

Got a few bar questions....

Does anyone know the specs on these bars, I feel a little cramped and uncomfortable standing? Curious what the bend specs are so I can swap accordingly.

How do you guys like these bars?

What position in the clamps are you using, I haven't moved mine forward yet but I'm going to I think?

• YamaLink

Posted October 06, 2010 - 07:00 PM

I don't know the specs but the bar fit was written about in a few bike "tests." No matter what clamp position it's in the bike feels small while standing like my 07 CRF250R, and I'm only 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Not an apples to apples, but my 07 KX250 two smoke feels like a roomy mid-80s Husky 430 in comparison.

• tech24

Posted October 07, 2010 - 05:51 AM

I have a CR High evo bar I'm saving for my '04 project but might just have to put them on the 2010 for now and see if I like it. I'm trying to stand more but its too uncomfortable the way it is now.

Or maybe I'll get the scotts sub mount kit for the stabilizer I bought for the '04

• jasonlion54

Posted October 07, 2010 - 08:30 AM

http://www.rockymoun...andlebarinfo.do

Good resource

• tech24

Posted October 07, 2010 - 08:36 AM

yeah I've been there, guess I can measure them myself and get some what close. I haven't seen this particular bend anywhere so I assume its yammy specific

• racerxx276

Posted October 07, 2010 - 08:52 AM

Pro taper make a Yamaha High Bend, same bend as the low only, well, taller. I'm 5'11'', these work well, if still to low try the Windham MX/RM Mid Bend, pretty tall...very close bend to the Yamaha bend

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:10 AM

If you mean the OEM Yamaha bars, yes, they are Yamaha specific, and they are very low. Somewhere around 74-77mm, depending on which year (they raised them slightly in '07).

Measuring bars is a somewhat imprecise science, it would seem, and there is a lot of variation in how it's done, and in what the terminology means from one company to the next. A visit to some of the different manufacturers web sites will show that if they give a diagram of how they do theirs. Do they measure from the top of the tube or the center? Do they consider rise and height two different things, or the same? How about sweep and pull-back; same thing or different? What's the reference? Bar bends with the same name, like CR high, will show different numbers on different sites.

The most infallible means of comparing them short of riding with them is to turn the bar over on the bench so that the grip ends lay flat on the surface. Measure up to the bottom (nearest the bench surface) of the clamp section to get a center to center picture of how high they are. When measuring "fat" bars with a 1 1/8" clamp section, add 3mm to what you get to adjust for the diameter difference.

While it's on the bench, measure from straight under the clamp section back to a line drawn across the bar ends. This will tell you how far forward or back the bars will move your hand position. This is as important a factor in how comfortable you will be when standing as height is. If the grips aren't far enough forward, you will want to lean back on the bike too much, and tire quickly.

Sweep angle is a tough one because most companys measure from the bend at the end of the rise to the end of the bars. If the rise is more vertical from left to right one bar, the bends will be closer together than on one that rises flatter and wider to the same height, and that difference will affect the angle of sweep even when the numbers are the same.

My preference on my '06 is the Windham bend. It's fairly high for me at 5'10", but it also moves the hands forward, and allows me to stand in a very relaxed position at speed, gives me a lot of room to move around, and improves control in general. My 6'4" son rides with the same bend and loves them. Read:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=657523

Edited by grayracer513, October 07, 2010 - 09:14 AM.
clarity & technical accuracy

• Wiz636

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:31 AM

I also like the Windham/RM mid bars by Pro Taper, followed by the KX Hi bend.

I really like the height of the Pastrana FMX bars but the sweep is too far back and the grips are nowhere near horizontal...too much of a 'vee' angle for me.

• tech24

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:54 AM

If you mean the OEM Yamaha bars, yes, they are Yamaha specific, and they are very low. Somewhere around 74-77mm, depending on which year (they raised them slightly in '07).

Measuring bars is a somewhat imprecise science, it would seem, and there is a lot of variation in how it's done, and in what the terminology means from one company to the next. A visit to some of the different manufacturers web sites will show that if they give a diagram of how they do theirs. Do they measure from the top of the tube or the center? Do they consider rise and height two different things, or the same? How about sweep and pull-back; same thing or different? What's the reference? Bar bends with the same name, like CR high, will show different numbers on different sites.

The most infallible means of comparing them short of riding with them is to turn the bar over on the bench so that the grip ends lay flat on the surface. Measure up to the bottom (nearest the bench surface) of the clamp section to get a center to center picture of how high they are. When measuring "fat" bars with a 1 1/8" clamp section, add 3mm to what you get to adjust for the diameter difference.

While it's on the bench, measure from straight under the clamp section back to a line drawn across the bar ends. This will tell you how far forward or back the bars will move your hand position. This is as important a factor in how comfortable you will be when standing as height is. If the grips aren't far enough forward, you will want to lean back on the bike too much, and tire quickly.

Sweep angle is a tough one because most companys measure from the bend at the end of the rise to the end of the bars. If the rise is more vertical from left to right one bar, the bends will be closer together than on one that rises flatter and wider to the same height, and that difference will affect the angle of sweep even when the numbers are the same.

My preference on my '06 is the Windham bend. It's fairly high for me at 5'10", but it also moves the hands forward, and allows me to stand in a very relaxed position at speed, gives me a lot of room to move around, and improves control in general. My 6'4" son rides with the same bend and loves them. Read:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=657523

Good read, thanks! I think i'll give up on trying to measure because I already figured it would be tough to get right. And like you said the numbers may be useless and I'll probably end with the same result.

I think I'm going to try the windham bend evos (if available) or just go ahead and get the sub mount for the scotts stabilizer. The only reason I'm hesitant to get the sub mount is I'd like to swap it between bikes and not sure if the sub mount will allow for easy acess to the bolts but looking at in the box isn't doing me any good either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:56 AM

I also like the Windham/RM mid bars by Pro Taper, followed by the KX Hi bend.

I really like the height of the Pastrana FMX bars but the sweep is too far back and the grips are nowhere near horizontal...too much of a 'vee' angle for me.

Agreed, I have the Windham bend PT Contours on my 06 with 10mm risers and they work well for me. 6'2" with long arms.

• usp4u

Posted October 07, 2010 - 10:06 AM

I'm about to slap a set of CR hi pro-tapers on my '08. The OEM bends seem like they wouldn't fit anyone I know.

• tech24

Posted October 07, 2010 - 11:20 AM

I'm about to slap a set of CR hi pro-tapers on my '08. The OEM bends seem like they wouldn't fit anyone I know.

They're great for sitting and putting in the woods but thats it. Let me know if you like the change.

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2010 - 12:46 PM

... or just go ahead and get the sub mount for the scotts stabilizer.

The thing to remember about risers in general is that as they raise the bar 10mm, they move it back about 3mm because of the steering head angle. For that reason, when ordering a Scotts SUB mount, which raises the bar about 25mm, I recommend that taller riders looking to use a low bend bar ask Scotts to build the mount with the bars 10-15mm forward of the stock position to both compensate for the lift and to mimic what is usually done with taller bars.

• tech24

Posted October 07, 2010 - 01:19 PM

The thing to remember about risers in general is that as they raise the bar 10mm, they move it back about 3mm because of the steering head angle. For that reason, when ordering a Scotts SUB mount, which raises the bar about 25mm, I recommend that taller riders looking to use a low bend bar ask Scotts to build the mount with the bars 10-15mm forward of the stock position to both compensate for the lift and to mimic what is usually done with taller bars.

I'm glad you mentioned that because the thought never crossed my mind and could have an ill effect on what i'm trying to accomplish.

You run a scotts right? Are you using sub mount? I'm guessing not since you are running windham.

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2010 - 01:48 PM

Just a normal over the bar clamp mount. Love the damper, BTW.

• Wiz636

Posted October 07, 2010 - 03:38 PM

http://www.rockymoun...andlebarinfo.do

Good resource

That is a good resource. One thing I wish the manufacturers would also show is the horizontal angle of the part of the bar that you grip. Some bars have quite an angle so that your grips are angled upward on the outside ends quite a bit (the Pastrana FMX for one).

Ideally I would like bars that had at least 100mm rise but with minimal sweep and that had grips that were almost perfectly horizontal. Thay way as you rotate them forward or back in the clamps it is not creating all sorts of weird angles.

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2010 - 05:53 PM

Any bar that sweeps back at all can be rotated in the clamp to a position where the tops are flat. That is, if you sat a board across the grips, the board would sit level. Rotate them farther back, the bars will drop at the ends. Rotate them forward and they rise to the ends from the center as you are saying. This "flat" Position is the one I like also (maybe very slightly raised), but it's not always near the marked zero spot on the bars, and a lot of them are way too far back when they reach this point. It's also the reason I turn them over on a bench when I measure them, like I said earlier.

• tech24

Posted October 08, 2010 - 05:14 AM

Alright was looking at all the bends, I really like the windham bend. I do have a CR-Hi bar but looks like a lot of pull back and I'm not sure I'll like that. I'm not real tall though. I've decided to scrap the sub mount idea due to the rise and diffuculty of swapping between bikes. I could save some cash and use the CR hi bars and then afford the top mount but you guys really got me looking at the windham bend.

I guess its free for me just to try the CR bars out.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.