YZ450F 08 Anybody home?

6 replies to this topic
  • Peetu

Posted October 06, 2010 - 04:15 AM

Hello everyone!

I have had YZ 450F '04 and RMZ 450 '05. Now I changed back to Yam and 08 YZ 450. But what has happened, where is the top end power? Next summer would be try to race supermoto and that bike is just too slow for that!

I have now JD-ignition box and Van Hasselt full system. But I think the biggest issue is cam shafts? I think to timing those again or should I buy new ones, example GYTR/Hot cams?

What do you think, what else to do?

-Pekka-

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2010 - 06:59 AM

Unless there is something specifically wrong with your particular bike, I think that if you run the '08 head to head on asphalt against the typical '04 from mid-RPM up, you'll be surprised to find out the '08 has a lot of top end. Mid range and the low end blast of the '04 is what they lack.

With an '08, start with a decent exhaust system, then stick a CDI from an '06 on it, and that should change the nature of the thing quite a bit. The power delivery is quite deceptive, and it's much faster than you think at first. The Euro model was a little different than the US unit, but that was mostly the pipe. Since you've basically done most of that, it may be that you want more mid range. Installing a set of '06 cams will change the lobe centering to a less top end biased setting.

• YamaLink

Posted October 08, 2010 - 03:44 AM

That 08 power delivery especially with a stock setup was almost the ideal tight woods bike for me. Small feeling, seemless. I liken it to a big bore 250F. As stated, very deceptive. But all my friends immediately put a Dr. D on for more "bark."

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davbrucas

Posted October 08, 2010 - 04:41 AM

You may also want to look at the carb jetting as well. How many hours on the bike?

• mikedabike

Posted October 08, 2010 - 09:49 PM

I got a few wins on a stock 07. I also use to race a 04. If anything the 07 is weak off the corner but much faster mid to top than the 04. Unless you are running big road courses I wouldn't worry about the power too much. Stock power is fine until you get to the intermediate/expert level then you might need some more HP.

• Peetu

Posted October 10, 2010 - 08:45 PM

Thank you for the answers. There is a lot of power, but it feels that power curve drops too early. So I want to change engine nature a little bit.
There are only about 40 hours on bike and I'll put new piston and cam chain. Is there anything else to check/change?

• davbrucas

Posted October 11, 2010 - 08:35 AM

What size rear sprocket?

Have Ron Hamp do some work on your head and carb and you will have the top end beast you are looking for.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.