DR350? vs DRZ400

23 replies to this topic
  • stevestiles1

Posted October 06, 2010 - 02:18 AM

How is the DR350 related to our 400's ? Is it too old to have its own forum on here?

I'm just asking because the two things I hate about the 400 I have is that it is water cooled and electric start.

Was thinking about getting a dr350...

Any thoughts?

I know this is an old topic, but any new/old ideas on an air cooled kick start?

• f2dog

Posted October 06, 2010 - 03:56 AM

Dr 350 is really old compared to the drz.
Less power ,more weight.
You can fit a kick start to the drz , worse about the cooling ..

• DDACT

Posted October 06, 2010 - 03:56 AM

Sounds like you need an XR400.

• Craig-o

Posted October 06, 2010 - 04:01 AM

It's called Evolution....we have come out of the stone age and into the 21st century ...Ride a 350 then jump on a 400...it will make your choice somewhat easier..:smirk:

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted October 06, 2010 - 08:08 AM

http://www.thumperta...isplay.php?f=41

• matt 2778

Posted October 06, 2010 - 08:37 AM

I happen to own both and would say that the drz has much more power than the old dr but both can cruise at the same speeds as the 350 has a six speed. The drz has much better suspension than the old dr and it also has a better ergonomic layout(dr seating doesn't seem to allow you to move around much on the saddle). The dr350 has some good points. For one it feels lighter. It's a bit shorter allowing small riders to feel comfortable. It's also nice that it's air-cooled (I prefer liquid cooling though). Both bikes are fun but the dr350 is definitely older technology, however you'll enjoy either one.

• Gehrcke

Posted October 09, 2010 - 07:44 PM

How is the DR350 related to our 400's ? Is it too old to have its own forum on here?

I'm just asking because the two things I hate about the 400 I have is that it is water cooled and electric start.

Was thinking about getting a dr350...

Any thoughts?

I know this is an old topic, but any new/old ideas on an air cooled kick start?

I'd also suggest the Honda XR400. Air cooled and kick start. It's a sound bike with great reliability. The XR is a bit lean in factory form, but nothing a jet kit can't fix. I'd go for the XR over the DR.

Good luck deciding which bike is right for you depending on your riding style and what you are going to do with it.

• lento

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:33 AM

need the page of the manual on the dr350 timing specks or a bin there done that dr350 freek...thank you guys

btw- have both, dr350 vs400 drz...cant compare...two completely dif animals..

• donny662

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:50 AM

Starting a new topic in the DR section of the forum would probably get you more help.

• captb

Posted February 04, 2011 - 01:16 PM

+1 on the XR400. If we were talking 400cc twins I'd prefer a kickstart but after 26 years of big kickstart thumpers..... I'm happy with the magic button.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ROMAD

Posted February 04, 2011 - 01:23 PM

If the older DR had a 6 speed why did they go to a 5 speed for the newer DRZ? Wish they would have left that in when making the updates!

• ccman60

Posted February 04, 2011 - 05:05 PM

I own a 06 DRZ 400s and a 98 dr 350se. I find myself riding the DR more for some reason. Love both bikes. Just wished the DRZ had the 6 speed.

• lento

Posted February 06, 2011 - 08:30 AM

well i could not figure out how start a new thread so will post again, the timing on a dr350s, anybody??
thanks...

• donny662

Posted February 06, 2011 - 09:58 AM

well i could not figure out how start a new thread so will post again, the timing on a dr350s, anybody??
thanks...

You could ask: "how do I start a new thread?"

The answer to that is here:

Posted Image

• jimmyhoffa

Posted February 06, 2011 - 10:07 AM

I ride both on a regular basis, as my friend has a DR350 and I have a DRZ400sm. We regularly work on both machines. His DR is notably more reliable and takes his no-maintenance maintenance schedule better than a DRZ400s/e/sm would. However, it is an absolute dog and there is less aftermarket support in the performance section. I like the DRz400 better and am willing to do the extra work to get extra performance and have parts support.

• kp207

Posted February 06, 2011 - 01:28 PM

I have both and really like both.(92 350s kicker and 04 drz400s). Drz is super smooth, has electric start but is much heavier and because of its awfull gear ratio i had to gear it 13/48 for woods riding so my top speed on the road is severly limited. my 350 is not as snappy or smooth and i have to kick it but it is super reliable and easier to ride in the snotty rough stuff. It also has a great 1st gear and has a great 6th gear for when i hit pavement. I really do love both bikes but if i could only have one i guess it would be the drz. But it seems my favorite bike is always the one i have ridden last, so i change my mind often:bonk:

• R.D.

Posted February 06, 2011 - 01:28 PM

Just wished the DRZ had the 6 speed.

That make two of us, plus everybody else..:thumbsup:

• firsthumper

Posted February 11, 2011 - 02:15 PM

DR 350 is a better bike when everything is considered.
Personally , I think the R (X) model is even better looking than the 400 (E or S).
I have a 350 S and a R to restore or for parts, I rode several XR400 and DRZ's before making my choice . XR I don't like, a tuned up DR is a better bike. DRZ is great , but needs all kinds of add-ons (rad guards and so on).
The power delivery is different, the DR can be ridden like a grandpa to get groceries and it's really nice. The DRZ is a modern 4 stroke, power is in the top end , the DRZ-E particularly is a pain on the street whereas the DR S is pure pleasure.

tHEN the maintenance is a whole lot more complicated on the Z, can't access the plug (ridiculous), can't do your valves, difficult to wash (DR is washed in 3minutes) , I could go on.
DRZ looks better than the 350 S (350 R still beats it), but if you are a bit old school your choice is quickly made.

• f2dog

Posted February 11, 2011 - 02:35 PM

Reg. maintence, it's not like you describe.
No prob changing the plug using the tool in the toolbox..
Adjusting valves is easy on the drz, but you have to pull the fuel tank, which takes maybe 10 minutes, only 6 bolts to remove.

• ptgarcia

Posted February 11, 2011 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, if you want a grandpa bike, the DR350 is a better bike. The technology is from the same generation as your grandpa so its a perfect match. :smirk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.