Stepped over to the blue side.....YZ450F -11

32 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted October 08, 2010 - 10:01 AM

Keep a close eye open on the rear right hand side fender bolt. Mine after a few hours of riding time it would vibrate out. I lost one bolt all ready due to not checking it.

Just check it time to time and make sure it does'nt loosen up any. It is the bolt that is next to the exhaust bolt and it is kinda hard to get to unless you take the aside panel off.

• HRC

Posted October 08, 2010 - 11:38 AM

Keep a close eye open on the rear right hand side fender bolt. Mine after a few hours of riding time it would vibrate out. I lost one bolt all ready due to not checking it.

Just check it time to time and make sure it does'nt loosen up any. It is the bolt that is next to the exhaust bolt and it is kinda hard to get to unless you take the aside panel off.

Good info !....anybody else had this problem ?

• HRC

Posted October 08, 2010 - 11:44 AM

r u planning on leaving the KYB or going exotic with ohlin?

To early to tell.....I want to ride with the KYB stock stuff first before I decide what to do.

I have always heard that yamaha has very good stock suspension though.:smirk:

• tech24

Posted October 08, 2010 - 12:19 PM

Good info !....anybody else had this problem ?

Don't know but gonna look now but I think its there

To early to tell.....I want to ride with the KYB stock stuff first before I decide what to do.

I have always heard that yamaha has very good stock suspension though.:smirk:

I'm happy with it and I'm 200lbs

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 08, 2010 - 12:26 PM

I have the Del-Taco kit in mine by Dave Johnson and I love the way the bike handles.

• aedwards07

Posted October 08, 2010 - 03:31 PM

I had mine loosen up once.Tightened it and put some lock tite on it and hasnt loosened up since.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slodog

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:27 AM

I think it's a crazy waste of money to change any bike's oil less than every 12-15 running meter-hours!:worthy:

The owner's manual calls for an oil change every 1000Km on a YZ450F. (YZ engine and tranny share the same oil. Honda's should go even longer.)1000Km converts to over 620 miles. :blah:

That said most people can't ride faster than an average speed of 40mph and for sure not 50mph for an average which equates to 15-12 hours respectively.:worthy:

I find it interesting that most people will change the oil ever 2-3 rides which is way more than the manufacturer recommends but will neglect the owner's manual to replace piston rings and or piston every 1000Km or 15 hours.:ride:

I've followed the 12-15 hour rule on the past 8 or more bikes and have never had any problems. I also always use the cheapest Honda or Yamaha oil. I use 10W-30/40 in winter and 20W-50 in summer. (GN4 or Yamalube) I also always replace the oil filter. I use a cheap HiFlo. Actually my valves, piston and rings seem to last just as long if not longer than most people I know. :bonk:

IMO, the real key to durable extended service is the air filter maintenance. If you add up how much time and money is spent with accelerated oil changes, you could pay someone to totally service your engine's top end each year and come out ahead financially.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 10:22 AM

I think it's a crazy waste of money to change any bike's oil less than every 12-15 running meter-hours!:thumbsup:

Alright then, here's what I want you to do: Contact Blackstone Labs at:

http://www.blackston...e-test-kits.php

Order a free test kit or two. CAREFULLY follow the instructions on how to take the sample so as not to foul it in the process and degrade your results. When you get the results back, we'll talk.

• tech24

Posted December 14, 2010 - 02:05 PM

manual also says to replace piston rings too at that time and 2010 manual says to replace oil and piston every 12.5 hrs. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

• slodog

Posted December 14, 2010 - 04:22 PM

manual also says to replace piston rings too at that time and 2010 manual says to replace oil and piston every 12.5 hrs. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Exactly my point!

Also, how many times does the manufacturer recommend replacing various gaskets of every kind. Most of us don't do that either. Frankly, I frequently reuse the OEM metal-laminated Base, Head and even copper exhaust header gaskets without ever having any problems with any of my bikes.

I spec out nearly the entire valve-train every 45 hours. I notice very normal wear, never out of spec. I put about 250 hours per year on my bike. I generally sell them after about 500 hours. I know for a fact that the last 3 bikes I sold are still running without problems over a 1-2 years after the sale.

I'm not sure how long you really want to keep a bike. But if you just simply like changing your oil more often than needed, that's cool with me.

• slodog

Posted December 14, 2010 - 05:02 PM

Alright then, here's what I want you to do: Contact Blackstone Labs at:

http://www.blackston...e-test-kits.php

Order a free test kit or two. CAREFULLY follow the instructions on how to take the sample so as not to foul it in the process and degrade your results. When you get the results back, we'll talk.

I think I see where this is going. Regardless what the test kit may show, I'm sure it's something that the manufacturer considered when giving the maintenance schedules.

Perhaps it really is a conspiracy on the part of the manufacturer to suggest changing gaskets when not needed to sell more parts, and too long of an oil change interval to accelerate premature component wear. But if that were the case, then there's the whole aftermarket parts issue they have to consider. With the cost of new motorbikes over $8,000. I hardly think the maintenance schedule favors the latter plotting.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:19 PM

So you are going to make up numbers to suit yourself and call it an adequate without having any real facts to go on, while I am basing my opinions on the results of lab tests on some of the best oils available. That's fine with me, too, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Three ride days, 10 hours max under good conditions. The gearbox will shred virtually any multigrade oil in any more time than that (many of them much quicker), and the heat will start to affect the very best of them.

Now, if you want to know the real reason for the 15 hour piston change, ask a lawyer. In my manual, BTW, the recommendation for replacement of the piston is "As required", not every 15 hours.

I don't know where the 15 hour oil change recommendation comes in, but the '06 manual specifies every 5th race, which is only 10 hours even if you're talking desert races, in most cases, and if it's MX these days, that's about 5 hours including practice the day of the race.

• tech24

Posted December 15, 2010 - 05:12 AM

In my manual, BTW, the recommendation for replacement of the piston is "As required", not every 15 hours.

My '04 says as required but 2010 says replace at 12.5 hrs. I just thought that was kind of interesting. But I think I'll continue with too frequent services.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.