Stepped over to the blue side.....YZ450F -11

32 replies to this topic
  • HRC

Posted October 06, 2010 - 12:24 AM

Hello Yamaha TT-people !

After 11 years riding Honda I got myself a 2011 Yamaha YZ450F !

Hope to get some good info and tips on what to think about when riding a blue machine.

First question....how many hours between oilchanges on the -10/-11 YZ450F ?

Anything I should check before first ride ? ( I know the usuall stuff like spokes, bolts etc, etc.....)

Any weak stuff that I should keep an extra eye on ?

Best recomended suspension settings / sag.....my weight is cirka 78 kg.

I´m really looking forward riding Yamaha ! It is always nice with something completely new.:smirk:

• motojase316

Posted October 06, 2010 - 03:01 AM

Hey HRC,

Congrats on the new ride.

I do oil and filter every 5 hrs.

did you get my PM?

• HRC

Posted October 06, 2010 - 04:15 AM

Hey HRC,

Congrats on the new ride.

I do oil and filter every 5 hrs.

did you get my PM?

Hi there ! Thanks !

Yes I got your PM.....:smirk:

• delmas

Posted October 06, 2010 - 04:45 AM

Hello Yamaha TT-people !

After 11 years riding Honda I got myself a 2011 Yamaha YZ450F !

Hope to get some good info and tips on what to think about when riding a blue machine.

First question....how many hours between oilchanges on the -10/-11 YZ450F ?

Anything I should check before first ride ? ( I know the usuall stuff like spokes, bolts etc, etc.....)

Any weak stuff that I should keep an extra eye on ?

Best recomended suspension settings / sag.....my weight is cirka 78 kg.

I´m really looking forward riding Yamaha ! It is always nice with something completely new.:smirk:

did you get the tuner

• Mick17

Posted October 06, 2010 - 04:53 AM

What is the chamber on the head pipe for??? Why don't most of the aftermarkets have this???

• Swapper265

Posted October 06, 2010 - 04:54 AM

What is the chamber on the head pipe for??? Why don't most of the aftermarkets have this???

They do, just in varying different styles.

It is mostly aimed at noise reduction !!

HRC - Welcome to the BLUE side. You will never go back!!!

:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2010 - 06:38 AM

First off, welcome.

What to check right away:

Grease: the factory uses minimal amounts in the steering head and linkage, and it doesn't look particularly water proof

Chain: Junk. Discard it before you damage two otherwise good sprockets. Stepping up to a really high quality chain such as Regina's ORN6 is money very well spent. And while we're on the subject read the manual regarding setting the tension. Yes, they really do need to be that loose.

Rummage through the common threads sticky. Be sure you understand that the YZ uses a dry sump oil system, and how that works.

Ask questions and have fun.

• aedwards07

Posted October 06, 2010 - 08:04 AM

Are we going to see a HRC works yamaha like your hondas in the past?Keep an eye on valve cover gaskets too.

• brentn

Posted October 06, 2010 - 08:59 AM

I change my oil often so I buy in 4L jugs, Castrol GTX 20W50. I do a change only every 2 hours on this bike, I do about 3 oil changes before the filter is changed. There really, IMO is no need to change the filter any sooner than that cause it doesn't get dirty that quick. The air filter on this bike is great, it's position keeps it clean for a long time. I have gone about 8 hours on a filter without cleaning and it was just starting to get dirty. If I compared that to my older YZ250 with the filter in the rear, after 3-4 hours it would be just CAKED in brown dirt.

If you recieved the tuner, try the Jay Marmont map, makes the bike HAUL. I love it!

• HRC

Posted October 07, 2010 - 12:07 AM

did you get the tuner

No ....should I get it ? Is it worth the money ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HRC

Posted October 07, 2010 - 12:08 AM

First off, welcome.

What to check right away:

Grease: the factory uses minimal amounts in the steering head and linkage, and it doesn't look particularly water proof

Chain: Junk. Discard it before you damage two otherwise good sprockets. Stepping up to a really high quality chain such as Regina's ORN6 is money very well spent. And while we're on the subject read the manual regarding setting the tension. Yes, they really do need to be that loose.

Rummage through the common threads sticky. Be sure you understand that the YZ uses a dry sump oil system, and how that works.

Ask questions and have fun.

Thanks ! :smirk:

• HRC

Posted October 07, 2010 - 12:09 AM

Are we going to see a HRC works yamaha like your hondas in the past?Keep an eye on valve cover gaskets too.

All I can say is.....I got big plans for my Yami ! :smirk::p

• YamaLink

Posted October 07, 2010 - 05:08 AM

I'd change the oil filter every other oil change, too.

At 78kg is about 173 pounds. Set your sag at around 99 to 102mm and see what works best for you.

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2010 - 06:57 AM

The GYT-R tuner is pretty simplistic has electronic EFI/IGN remappers go, but very useful nonetheless, and not that expensive. FMF offers one that I know nothing about that may be more capable or not.

The cool thing about the GYT-R unit is that it can be used anywhere (like at the track) and can store several maps that you've already tried. That can allow you to make on the spot changes to suit conditions as you might want to if the track is unusually wet or dry one day, and do so in a matter of seconds.

It also is a totally standalone unit requiring no computer or extra hardware. In one sense, while the simplicity can be a little limiting (there is a total of 9 cells each for timing and fuel), the other side of that is that it's easy to understand and quick to make changes to.

I would say it clearly isn't the most sophisticated unit of its kind available, but it's certainly worth having, yes.

• Thumper38

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:43 AM

No ....should I get it ? Is it worth the money ?

Its worth every penny! very nice tuner!

• HRC

Posted October 07, 2010 - 11:07 AM

The GYT-R tuner is pretty simplistic has electronic EFI/IGN remappers go, but very useful nonetheless, and not that expensive. FMF offers one that I know nothing about that may be more capable or not.

The cool thing about the GYT-R unit is that it can be used anywhere (like at the track) and can store several maps that you've already tried. That can allow you to make on the spot changes to suit conditions as you might want to if the track is unusually wet or dry one day, and do so in a matter of seconds.

It also is a totally standalone unit requiring no computer or extra hardware. In one sense, while the simplicity can be a little limiting (there is a total of 9 cells each for timing and fuel), the other side of that is that it's easy to understand and quick to make changes to.

I would say it clearly isn't the most sophisticated unit of its kind available, but it's certainly worth having, yes.

OK...thanks !:smirk:

• Ga426owner

Posted October 07, 2010 - 11:47 AM

Wow I never thought I would see the day HRC.......welcome to Blue. I can't wait to see what is in store for your yami :smirk:

• HRC

Posted October 07, 2010 - 11:16 PM

Wow I never thought I would see the day HRC.......welcome to Blue. I can't wait to see what is in store for your yami :smirk:

I can´t wait to start pimping it ! :p

Some parts are ordered and coming next week. :cheers:

• Ga426owner

Posted October 08, 2010 - 06:21 AM

I can´t wait to start pimping it ! :smirk:

Some parts are ordered and coming next week. :p

r u planning on leaving the KYB or going exotic with ohlin?

I highly recommend you buy the tuner, dump the chain immediately.

I can not wait for a full ride report

• tech24

Posted October 08, 2010 - 09:21 AM

Yes get the tuner, its also has built in diagnotics and an hour meter. And RM sells them for good price.

You asked about sag from reading on here I have seen many setting it to 110+. I have mine at 115 and couldn't be happier but I'm no racer. From the way it sounds a little extra sag or lowering link is desirable on these.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.