New WR400 owner! 1999 WR400... somehow plated!!!

7 replies to this topic
  • Shred Jesse

Posted October 05, 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hey everyone!

Name's Jesse, I'm fairly new to dirtbiking in General. I bought a turd of a 1982 XR250 from a friend, ghetto rigged a bunch of parts onto it, welded shit onto it, and made it somewhat legitimate. I rode it for a few months, enjoyed myself, but quickly grew past the crappy suspension, and the low power. It got to the point where I was riding as fast as the bike really could go, and occasionally beyond it's capabilities as I'd get thrown off by terrain the suspension couldn't take. I even had the suspension rebuilt, and it just wasn't going to work like it aught to. Oh yeah, and don't forget it's 300lb+ weight, and it's horrible rear drum brake!

So yeah, I came into some money as some doucherino backed into my sport bike. I got a nice new job at the same time too, so I decided to treat myself!

1999 YAMAHA WR400... that is somehow plated despite being questionably street legal, and still kick start!

Posted Image

It's in pretty good shape. Now that all the work is done it starts pretty easy, and once it's warmed up it starts first kick with NO problem! BOOYA! Even when cold it starts first or second kick! The beast hasn't had a ton of hours despite being dual sported, and it feels really nice and plush!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyways, despite it being plated, and possibly street legal, I won't be dual sporting it. It'll eat through legitimate dirt tires, and I've never heard a seasoned rider do anything other than scoff at dual sport anything for hard trail use. Sorry guys! It's for the best anyways, as you really gotta run this bike out to redline to do safe highway speeds, and it's just not meant to handle at those speeds!

So yeah, gobs of plush suspension, plenty of tractor like power, no mean nasty power band, decently light weight (270 completely full of all fluids)... this is a trail bike to help me progress into some better riding! It feels great, it's a good bike, and I'm looking forward to rallying it!

I've done a bunch of research thus far on the beast via this forum, but here's a few random notes about the work required thus far and what not:

1- The thing was horrible off of idle, but not entirely a bog like described. Cleaning the carbs all the way out and cleaning the pilot jet made an immense difference however!

2- All of a sudden the damn thing started flooding and dumping fuel. Not sure what happened as we hadn't messed around with anything near the carbs... but yeah it dumped a good cup of gasoline! What the heck? Cleaning the carbs and setting the float bowl higher seemed to help, and it now starts at least. It's still not ultra happy, but it's alive!

3- General maintenance was abound! Ultra dirt air filter (but oiled previously), chain ungodly tight (guy had no idea that tightening a chain didn't mean taunt). Oil appears recent and good!

4- Needs a new rear tire. It has a chewed through dual sport tire that is mostly street oriented.

5- It has an aftermarket pumper thinger on the bottom of the bowl! It has a white brothers exhaust that is super trapp style. It was ungodly loud, but taking it down to less plates helped notably. It's still probably right at the 99db limit, if not above it :smirk:

6- Suspension, while still nice, seems to have a bit much rebound on the front. Perhaps the oil is shot? What's the procedure for changing the oil on these beasts?

Anyways... it appears pretty good! I'm enjoying it thus far! I'm hoping to hit the trails this weekend and give it a real test!

• mweitz

Posted October 06, 2010 - 01:11 AM

Plating these bikes isn't so you can drive around on the freeway on them, it is mostly so you can connect trails or get to them without trailering them if you live close enough. :smirk:

Your description of the bike is interesting. Keep in mind this has decade old technology. The suspension, while good, is still at least one generation out. This bike would be considered a "pig" by current standards, which is a fine transitionary step. My progression was from a CRF230F to my WR426, so I got gobs of power, and a substantially better suspension, but there is still room to grow.

1- The thing was horrible off of idle, but not entirely a bog like described. Cleaning the carbs all the way out and cleaning the pilot jet made an immense difference however!

[COLOR="Red"]It is hard to clean jets properly, best to replace them if you can, they are cheap.[/COLOR]

2- All of a sudden the damn thing started flooding and dumping fuel. Not sure what happened as we hadn't messed around with anything near the carbs... but yeah it dumped a good cup of gasoline! What the heck? Cleaning the carbs and setting the float bowl higher seemed to help, and it now starts at least. It's still not ultra happy, but it's alive!

[COLOR="red"]As in it is still dumping gas? Check that the little assembly that opens and closes to allow gas into the bowl (carb float valve needle) isn't shot or doesn't have some gunk in it.[/COLOR]

3- General maintenance was abound! Ultra dirt air filter (but oiled previously), chain ungodly tight (guy had no idea that tightening a chain didn't mean taunt). Oil appears recent and good!

[COLOR="red"]Excellent.

As a side note, taunt is to make fun of, taut is tight.:p [/COLOR]

4- Needs a new rear tire. It has a chewed through dual sport tire that is mostly street oriented.

[COLOR="red"]Easy enough[/COLOR]

5- It has an aftermarket pumper thinger on the bottom of the bowl! It has a white brothers exhaust that is super trapp style. It was ungodly loud, but taking it down to less plates helped notably. It's still probably right at the 99db limit, if not above it

6- Suspension, while still nice, seems to have a bit much rebound on the front. Perhaps the oil is shot? What's the procedure for changing the oil on these beasts?

[COLOR="Red"]I would just do a fork rebuild. A kit with bushings and seals should be about 70 bucks.

Here is a walkthrough. Have a service manual on-hand. It is nice to have some specific tools, like a seal driver and fork oil level tool, though there are cheaper ways to go. I find that if I ride a lot it is good to change the fork oil every couple of months anyway. [/COLOR]

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ICr-DOmdk

[COLOR="Red"]I'm sure someone else will chime in with some additional information. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.[/COLOR]

• mweitz

Posted October 06, 2010 - 01:32 AM

Here we go. I'm sure you can get these at the TT store too. This should be everything you need to do a complete service on your forks. It is a fairly simple job with the right tools.

Fork Rebuild Kit

Fork Seal Bullet

Fork Seal Driver

Fork Oil Level Tool

Fork Oil - Check service manual for weight and volume. I think I needed 2 bottles of 10 wt.

Fork Seal Grease

While I was messing with them I put bleeder valves on. These are the Rocky Mountain ones, but you can find blue capped ones on Ebay for about 22.00

Bleeder Valves

I also put seal savers on at the same time. Some like em, some don't. You need to make sure you clean under them after each ride.

Seal Savers

If you do order from Rocky Mountain, google around for a coupon code. You sould be able to find one for 20.00 off orders of 150.00 or more, or 10% off or something like that.

• Shred Jesse

Posted October 06, 2010 - 07:31 AM

Good information!

While this suspension is a pig by modern suspension, coming from a 1982 XR250 this thing is friggen SWEET!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mweitz

Posted October 06, 2010 - 09:28 AM

Good information!

While this suspension is a pig by modern suspension, coming from a 1982 XR250 this thing is friggen SWEET!

LOL, I didn't mean the suspension was a pig, the bike is. At 270# it is a big heavy bike, but that is OK, mine is too.

Don't forget to check the valves, and tear down the suspension / swingarm to check / grease everything.

• Shred Jesse

Posted October 06, 2010 - 10:21 AM

Okay, I'll try and do that. Yeah the suspension and swingarm greasing is important. The chain guard on the swingarm is mere MM from being worn through. Definitely going to be replacing that.

• Shred Jesse

Posted October 08, 2010 - 09:24 PM

Welp, status update!

Since I am going on a good sized ride with a bunch of friends on Saturday, I droppd my bike off with Mike Cardenas Motorsports to get some work done. At first it was just mounting a rear tire, but it quickly piled up as we found more and more wrong.

The following was done:
-New rear wheel bearings
-Lightly used but still good rear tire slapped on
-Cleaned carbs thoroughly!
-Cleand out accelerator pump because it was CLOGGED and not working. ALmost no bog now!
-New pilot jet
-Adjust float bowl to OEM spec.

All this stuff works great! I took the bike home, and it was cold as could be, and started up second kick no problem! This thing is ready to ROCK!

• Shred Jesse

Posted October 09, 2010 - 03:37 PM

Oh man, the work Mike Cardenas did on my bike REALLY shined when I took the bike out on the trail today!

I'm going to start posting in the "What did you do to your WR today" thread instead of here!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.