8 replies to this topic
  • JR650

Posted June 30, 2003 - 12:36 PM

I need a set of barkbusters for my bike, gettin tired of my hands being whacked by trees that the stock handguards dont deflect. Who makes the strongest ones? Which fit best? im kind of lost because i have never put them on any bike i have owned, why im not sure. HELP!! thanks in advance, JR.

• BrianVT

Posted June 30, 2003 - 01:04 PM

Handguards are worth their weight in gold. You can even straighten trails out if you don't mind bouncing 'em off a couple trees on the way through. They all work, the fit just depends on your bars. I've got Answers (the orig. "BarkBuster") on the 650 and they bolt right on. I got Meiers for the old 500 and had to bend them a little to get a good fit, no biggie.
I use the std. rubber mounts in the bar ends. I'd rather have the guard move/give a little than bend the bars. I risk a lever/perch but I don't carry an extra set of bars in the woods.
Good luck,

• JR650

Posted June 30, 2003 - 08:44 PM

ya i already have a custom "dirt smasher" bend set of renthals with the right tweaked ever so slightly more than the left :). they are the standard 7/8, not fatbars. I need a handguard that can take a pounding from sub 2" trees regularly with the odd rocky landing for good measure. I seem to have the inate ability to pick the worst line through everything so generally anything attatched to my bike and myself take a little pounding. In case you didnt know, the BRP makes a good replacement for a cat when it comes to plowing down the odd willow bush :D, ow.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted July 01, 2003 - 01:54 AM

Acebis Rally Pro handguards are quite nice as well as Tusk D flex. Both of these have a beefy chunk of aluminum running through them that is stronger than the bones in your fingers. Try Rocky Mountain or Baja Designs. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redrider650r

Posted July 01, 2003 - 04:31 AM

I got a set of Acerbis Rally Pro's for $62 through Chaparral Motorsports, those things usually run 70-80 bucks.

• JR650

Posted July 02, 2003 - 06:47 PM

im from the land of crap money so anyone know of a place i can get them in Canada? i usually pay 2x even thought the dollar is way better than that. sounds like the prorallys are the way to go, i had a look at them and they look like they will go well on my BRP, just need a winch now...... LOL.

• redrider650r

Posted July 03, 2003 - 10:07 AM

Chaparral Motorsports ships worldwide and list the Rally Pros at $62.99. Go to and make your way through their selections(dirtbikes-control-handguards-acerbis-rally pro).

Here are some of their Q and A's:
Q: Do you ship outside the U.S.?
A: Chaparral ships worldwide. Please complete your order as an International shopper and we will quote USPS and UPS International rates. Be sure to provide an E-mail address. International customers may pay via Western Union® International QuickCollect® or simply mail in payment by cashiers check or money order in U.S. funds.

• JR650

Posted July 03, 2003 - 06:49 PM

ya, my problem is that free trade doesnt seem to apply to individual orders and i get nailed by duty and freight charges usually for about 30%. but if i find a dealer here, free trade applies, no duty. oh i love the government, bend down your citizens for a nice little &*^% so u can buy a new cadillac.

• CoreyClough

Posted July 04, 2003 - 01:31 AM

I too have the Acerbis Pro Rally Guards, but without the metal band built in. You can't believe how many levers I would have gone thru without them. One of the best investments I've purchased. http://rockymountain...?sid=0002895259
Don't skimp on protection!

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  47 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.