Budget trail set up for YZ450F?

22 replies to this topic
  • zimm17

Posted October 03, 2010 - 10:36 PM

I did a quick search and didn't turn up much- New riding friend has an early YZ450F that's he's just figuring out how to ride. He came from sand dune running in Utah, and has transplanted to our hyper-techincal hawaii terrain. Brother and I are running Rekluse clutched KTM 2 strokes which thrive here. We need the hot set up on a very strict budget to help our buddy enjoy the trails better.

His bike is all stock- stalls easily, runs hot, and has zero protection.

My thoughts are first to drop the 14 tooth countershaft to a 13 and we have a spare set of bark busters to put on his bike.

What's next? I'm thinking a flywheel weight to help with the stalling- is there a cheap one out there? Maybe a WR part?

Then there's cooling- It needs a coolant catch can- what do you recommend?
I have some extra computer fans that I mount on his radiators- that's a hot set up for our KTMs. $20 and you have cool air flowing through the rads when pushing the bike up a hill, etc.

What else? Rad guards? He doesn't have the $$$ for bullet proof engineering ones.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:43 PM

I would use the GTYR Off-Road flywheel and a REkluse for sure. Protection just like you mentioned.

Cooling - 4 strokes do not do well in the slow going - hence why you ride - 2 strokes. you could power a fan with a battery - that would be cool, but you would have to recharge it. Catch tanks are a good idea and free - say water bottle and zip ties.

Larger Radiators?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 05, 2010 - 08:22 PM

I would use the GTYR Off-Road flywheel and a REkluse for sure. Protection just like you mentioned.

Cooling - 4 strokes do not do well in the slow going - hence why you ride - 2 strokes. you could power a fan with a battery - that would be cool, but you would have to recharge it. Catch tanks are a good idea and free - say water bottle and zip ties.

Larger Radiators?

My 4 stroke does just fine in the slow stuff. If you are geared properly, you won't use the clutch very much. That keeps the temps way down.

Get a catch tank from a wr450 or make one yourself. I used about $8 in abs material from home depot.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 06, 2010 - 06:33 AM

13, possibly 12 tooth front sprocket (or go up in the rear and stay with the 13 tooth), spark arrestor, flywheel weight, radiator braces, hand guards and he'll have a good bare bones woods ready bike.

• zimm17

Posted October 06, 2010 - 09:28 AM

Rekluse is out of the budget. Catch can out of a water bottle will work. 13 tooth- will get it. I'll have him save up for radiator braces and flywheel weight. no need for spark arrestor out here.

• skoobeesnak

Posted October 06, 2010 - 09:37 AM

I just installed the GYTR flywheel on my YZ for some of those very reasons and it helped a lot for slower more technical terrain. It cost me around $110 and was fairly simple to install myself. I haven't had any overheating problems on my bike, he might try some water wetter or something similar to keep it from overflowing or just ride a little faster to keep the air moving through the radiators.

• twomancrew

Posted October 06, 2010 - 06:43 PM

13 tooth sprocket in front is a must. Bigger rear sprocket 51 will help him clutch less, I hear you can even get a 53. 12 tooth in front I hear wears out guides real fast.

Good clutch fibers helped my overheating. He will need new fibers sometime in the future anyway. Blue ice radiator fluid helps also, but a little expensive.

Radiator gaurds pay for themselves. Bark busters. Skid plate.

On the shifter, the inside corner can be rounded off with a file. It can save an ignition cover from getting a hole punched in it.

Lossen the bolts on brake and clutch levers a little so they will move when hit.

Adjust the sag on rear suspension. No cost, big benefit. May help him go a little faster, cool down a little more.

Fly wheel weight comes highly recommended. I've just never used/needed one.

• ac450

Posted October 06, 2010 - 08:43 PM

thanks guys just the question i was resdy to ask from hawaii also,awryt.

• ac450

Posted October 06, 2010 - 09:44 PM

What size (weight) flywheel? For the trails. Thanks

• skoobeesnak

Posted October 07, 2010 - 08:11 AM

What size (weight) flywheel? For the trails. Thanks

Looks like 9.21 oz. Here is a link to the one I have.

http://www.motosport...&segment=badger

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted October 07, 2010 - 08:20 AM

Looks like 9.21 oz. Here is a link to the one I have.

http://www.motosport...&segment=badger

That's an awesome price!!!
At the dealers it's about 250-300$...

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2010 - 08:32 AM

That's an awesome price!!!
At the dealers it's about 250-300$...

That price will not apply to the bike the OP is asking about unless the bike is an '06-'09 model. The illustration is also wrong, as it shows the much more expensive flywheel for the '10-'11 model. The listing is for a GYT-R 9.21 oz. off road flywheel (GYT-2S297-50-50), and that's the GYT-R retail price. Nothing super about it.

If the bike is in fact an '06-'09, then the GYT-R will fit. If it's an '05 or earlier, it won't, and GYT-R no longer makes one that will.

• Wiz636

Posted October 07, 2010 - 09:26 AM

Mix up a good batch of coolant (no need to blow good money on Engine Ice), I mix up a batch of 70% water, 30% ethyl glycol coolant, and a some water wetter...it's cheap and it works. I never boil over, even in tight woods.

The exact recipe I use is 2100ml water, 900ml EG coolant, and 100ml water wetter.

For even better cooling you could go to a ratio of 80% water and 20% EG but my 70/30 mix seems to give a good balance of cooling and boil over protection.

• probracing1

Posted October 07, 2010 - 01:54 PM

All good points; flywheel, bark busters, gearing, etc...

If he is stalling, and you have not already, jetting for sea level. He was riding @ 4500'-5500' on average (or higher) here in Utah. Re-jet for sea level.

Narrower handlebars might help in those tight tree sections; cut his existing bars.

Alot of his struggles probably are a result of only riding dunes. The terrain and trails you guys have will get him up to speed all by itself I suspect.

• husky390or

Posted October 07, 2010 - 05:01 PM

I have a friend who uses a turkey baster as a catch tank on his CRF and it works well.
I purchased a Devol skid plate for $103.00 from this site and it offers good protection. One recommendation is to find a guard for the head pipe that fits in front of the stock guard. That area seems to be prone to damage as I mashed mine on a tree.

• zimm17

Posted October 17, 2010 - 10:14 PM

Okay did some mods and went out again. He did much better. Although the bike is running HOT! It pops a bit when on the decel. Thinking maybe it's running too lean.

MODS so far: dropped to a 12T front- big difference.
Coolant catch can, higher pressure radiator cap, and new coolant.

We need to get the overheating thing fixed first. Maybe check the jetting. Can you run cooling fans on a YZ? Don't know if there's a tap for 12 volts.

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2010 - 06:59 AM

Can you run cooling fans on a YZ?

Only from a battery.

• zimm17

Posted October 18, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Only from a battery.

I might just do that- I have a spare battery from my KTM... and a pair of PC cooling fans.

• sc149

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:24 AM

check e bay for used parts. a lot of time there are good deals on lightly used parts. I have an 03 yz 450 and i also ride with guys on ktm 2 strokes. I have run the 13 on the front and it's not bad but i have changed back to 14/49. it is not a bad trail bike just not the most comfortable thing in the tightest stuff.

• sc149

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:26 AM

regarding the popping, make sure your fuel screw is 1 and a half turns out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.