2001 426 Quit Running

3 replies to this topic
  • prajchel

Posted October 03, 2010 - 08:24 PM

My buddy's WR426F suddenly quit running while running in 3rd gear. Running good until then. When trying to restart, the kick lever only goes down 3/4 of the way on the power stroke. Ankle breaker....
It travels fully when start lever on bars in pulled in. I will be tearing into it this week, and wanted advice on what to look for. Exhaust valves?
TIA, Paul

• matt4x4

Posted October 04, 2010 - 03:51 AM

Ok, sounds kinda normal. the lever on the bars (if everything is stock) is NOT the start lever, it's the decompression lever which you need to pull in order to bleed off the compression that builds up on the compression stroke (ankle breaker).
You might want to read up on how to start one of these bikes, because if it turns over fine with that lever pulled but hits compression without it pulled, it sounds like it's all good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • prajchel

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:34 AM

My friend (not computer literate, is why I am posting this for him on the forum) has had the bike for seven years. He knows the starting procedure and terminology. Sorry if I misspoke. But, after it stopped running and we towed it back, when we try to kick it over, the kick-start lever don't travel as far as it normally should. Thus "ankle breaker". It don't run and I was asking about the symptom of why the lever don't fully travel anymore. Did I mention that it don't run?

• matt4x4

Posted October 05, 2010 - 06:43 AM

When trying to restart, the kick lever only goes down 3/4 of the way on the power stroke. Ankle breaker....
It travels fully when start lever on bars in pulled in.

I went off this statement, which makes it sound like the bike is working normally.

Compression builds up on kick until you cannot kick it, bleed compression off and it will kick through again....

Anyways - could be a number of things, big end bearings sometimes lock the conrod up if they are getting worn, usually, you need to rock the bike backwards in gear a bit to dislodge them.
Don't think it's a valve, if valves need shimming, you should be able to kick it over too easy, since they no longer seat properly, allowing the compression to bleed off out the unseated valve.

If timing skipped, or a valve broke, you could have a valve connecting with the piston on the upstroke, stopping the piston from further travel, but you should not be able to get past that any which way - the decompression lever would not make a difference.

If I'm misreading it that using the decompression lever allows it to turn over fully, then it is possible your bike skipped time or broke a valve.

could also be something as simple as a problem with the kickstarter mechanism, but I'm not sure how the decompression lever would allow it to continue through the stroke....

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.