Creaking noise in steering.

7 replies to this topic
  • davbrucas

Posted October 02, 2010 - 06:33 PM

I recently installed some offset clamps on my 09 YZ450F and here recently I notice some creaking in the steering while turning to full lock left or right but only with weight on the tires. It doesnt do it on the stand. It will also make the same noise if I hold the front brake and compress the forks. The clamps do not appear loose and dont move when you pull on the forks. Ever have this happen before?

• grayracer513

Posted October 03, 2010 - 12:11 PM

Try to pin down the area the noise is coming from by listening with a rod or a stethoscope while someone else works it. Wheel spokes or a caliper bracket possibly.

• davbrucas

Posted October 03, 2010 - 05:49 PM

Try to pin down the area the noise is coming from by listening with a rod or a stethoscope while someone else works it. Wheel spokes or a caliper bracket possibly.

It seems like its coming from the lower bearing...but there is no play in the clamps that I can tell. I checked the caliper bracket and the spokes are tight. When I turn the wheel all the way left or right with the bike off the stand it does it, but not when its on the stand. There is no resistance to turning at all. Thanks for the reply.

• grayracer513

Posted October 03, 2010 - 07:33 PM

It's an odd problem. Is it a loud creaking, or no?

A dry lower seal could do this, but it seems unlikely. One thing I thought of was a crack in the steering head area, or the lower bearing cup moving in the frame, both of which also seem pretty unlikely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davbrucas

Posted October 03, 2010 - 09:56 PM

Yeah...pretty crazy. The lower bearing is new as the offset clamps have only been on the bike for about 2-3ride hours...14hrs on bike total. It isnt all that loud but noticeable when moving the bike around and getting it on the stand. You can feel the creaking in the bars when I turn the bars to full lock either way with the bike off the stand...like I said, doesnt do it at all on the stand. I hope it isnt in the forks! But it doesnt seem like it would be if it makes the noise with only turning the bars while not compressing the suspension.

• davbrucas

Posted October 03, 2010 - 09:57 PM

If you remember, I used the 06 steering stem that came with the clamps instead of replacing the one from my 09.

• tpars121

Posted October 04, 2010 - 04:58 AM

I had a similar problem that was due to me not tightening the steering stem properly.

• davbrucas

Posted October 04, 2010 - 11:58 AM

I had a similar problem that was due to me not tightening the steering stem properly.

I checked the stem nut torque and it was in spec, but I tightened it 10lbs more and the noise is gone. I figured that this was the cause...thanks for the suggestions. :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.