New valve shims, no clearance change?

6 replies to this topic
  • DGXR

Posted October 02, 2010 - 09:47 AM

1999 YZ400F
I checked the valve clearance and they were all tight, one of them extremely tight (I just bought this bike so don't flame me). After carefully measuring the existing clearance, doing the calculation between the existing shims and the clearance specs, I ordered new shims and installed them, torquing the cam caps carefully. The new clearances are not what I expected with the difference between the old shims and the new shims. For example, the left intake was at 0.10mm, so I changed the shim from 175 to 165 and the new clearance should be 0.20mm, right? I measured the new clearance at 0.13mm. Even worse, the center intake valve clearance did not change at all even after changing the shim from 166 to 160. What gives?

• arnego2

Posted October 02, 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hi there
Did you measure with the cam chain at tension?

Regards
Arnego2

• DGXR

Posted October 02, 2010 - 04:49 PM

Did you measure with the cam chain at tension?

Yes the cam chain and guides and tensioner are all installed, and the timing marks are perfect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted October 02, 2010 - 07:39 PM

The center of the shims can wear on the top of the valve, making the shim thinner than it is marked. It is possible that your old shims were worn, so when you bought the new thinner shims, they actually weren't as much thinner than you thought. Look at the old shims and see if you can see a circular wear mark in the center of one side.

• grayracer513

Posted October 03, 2010 - 12:19 PM

One of the other two things that can happen are to get the shim cocked in the spring retainer so it doesn't settle all the way down on the valve stem.

The other is that you may have had less than zero clearance. Once the valve reaches zero, the pressure holding the valve head into the seat drops way off, and the valve will start vibrating around on the seat, wearing it even farther. The is aggravated by the fact that the clearances are actually tighter when the engine is cold, so it may wear down to .001" while running, and then have -.0005" when cold. If your shims are all seated, try the next smaller size.

• usp4u

Posted October 04, 2010 - 06:50 AM

I'll add that I've noticed differences in thickness when mic'ing individual shims that are "marked" as being the same thickness. This is when using the HotCams kit.

• Ryan426

Posted October 04, 2010 - 04:04 PM

I mic my old shims as well as new ones before I install them.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.