Stripped seat bolts

4 replies to this topic
  • cnacc

Posted June 30, 2003 - 04:34 AM

I have a stripped seat bolt, can you just tap them bigger? Is there a better fix? Thanks

• endurodog

Posted June 30, 2003 - 05:50 AM

Yes there is a better fix! It's called "Helicoil". You tap out the hole a little larger, screw an insert in that is the same size threads as your orginal hole. Then you can use the same size/style of bolt to keep everything looking good. I got my little kit at a Napa auto parts store. Just tell them what size you need.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foursmoke

Posted June 30, 2003 - 07:03 AM

And remember to only torque them to 17 ft/lbs :D

Smoke :)

• cnacc

Posted June 30, 2003 - 11:00 AM

Thanks I will check it out. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 30, 2003 - 06:28 PM

Just weld a nut on the back of the threaded tab. That is easier. You can even do it yourself with brazing since you just need to hold it from spinning while you tighten it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.