Did this dirt come through the filter?

35 replies to this topic
  • Steel Panther

Posted October 02, 2010 - 10:35 PM

Where does that go in the carb? I want one

they come with new hoses as well, you can choose pretty much any color combo, pretty trick little filter.
Posted Image

• rmcr250r

Posted October 03, 2010 - 06:33 AM

So where does that filter actually go? Cant tell in the pic.

• dalonar

Posted October 03, 2010 - 07:06 AM

the blue filter holder was hard to see lol

• rmcr250r

Posted October 03, 2010 - 07:22 AM

O i got it now. Didnt realize the hoses actually plugged into the blue thing. I thought it just held the hoses in place.

• MrBlahh

Posted October 03, 2010 - 07:31 AM

Ive since cleaned it but it was spotless on the inside of the filter with the exception of some dirt particles.

then it was not spotless, dirt obviously got past

• rmcr250r

Posted October 03, 2010 - 09:28 AM

then it was not spotless, dirt obviously got past

I was saying that there wasnt anything out of the ordinary. Just some very fine dust in the intake boot which is impossible to stop from getting through.

• MrBlahh

Posted October 03, 2010 - 09:32 AM

I was saying that there wasnt anything out of the ordinary. Just some very fine dust in the intake boot which is impossible to stop from getting through.

I've never had fine dust get through a filter

• steve_97060

Posted October 03, 2010 - 09:42 AM

I've never had fine dust get through a filter

agreed, dust whether fine or not should not be getting thru...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmcr250r

Posted October 03, 2010 - 10:12 AM

Well an airfilter simply does not stop all dirt particles from going through whether you like it or not. But it was not a large amount of dirt that got through is all that im sayin. I put in a clean airfilter before every ride. This was a twin airfilter with pj1 filter oil and belray along the rim of filter. I also have one of those pc racing airfilter seals...so by no means do i neglect airfilter maintenance. This was a rare occasion for that dirty of a filter. To the airfilter experts...how long before an airfilter is no longer useable?

• gscx

Posted October 03, 2010 - 11:15 AM

When it starts falling apart, you will see it start to come apart at the seams, you need to replace it then. Its only like 15 dollars for one so replacing it omce a year is cheap insurance

• bwf8907

Posted October 05, 2010 - 02:34 PM

i have the same bike and the airbox does a decent job at keeping alot of dirt and dust out. That filter looks like its never been cleaned or was dipped in mud. I can run an entire harescramble through horrible conditions and after all that, my filter doesnt look nearly as bad as that

• grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2010 - 03:40 PM

I do know one guy who legitimately did that to a filter in a single race day once. He's Wiz636 on this board, and as I recall it was a Hare Scrambles in Washington state that ran through several miles of volcanic silt. Lots of guys conked out on the course from choked off filters. Wiz and several others lost engines because of it.

And I thought mine looked bad after a D38 Race. :smirk:

• MrBlahh

Posted October 05, 2010 - 03:43 PM

I did this in one day, at the end of the day it was so rich it fouled a plug, no dirt got through

Posted Image

• cjxrider125

Posted October 05, 2010 - 03:51 PM

how long should filters last before they start to come apart? on my 09, it only lasted 43 hours. but i wash mine after every ride because it gets pretty bad. i think the no toil cleaner might be eating the glue cuz mine fell apart right at the seam.

• rmcr250r

Posted October 05, 2010 - 05:16 PM

i have the same bike and the airbox does a decent job at keeping alot of dirt and dust out. That filter looks like its never been cleaned or was dipped in mud. I can run an entire harescramble through horrible conditions and after all that, my filter doesnt look nearly as bad as that

I assure you it was clean as new when i started..After two hours of berm blastin thats what i got. Ive done all sorts of trail riding with the bike in coal,sand, and mud and resulted in nothing nearly as dirty as the one in the pic.

• rmcr250r

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:39 PM

UPDATE: Well after continously finding dirt in the intake boot and a few valve adjustments, i went searching on where/how this dirt was getting in. I finally found that it was going through the guide that attaches to the intake boot. Some how it wasn't completely sealed all the way around. There was a film of dirt left where it was getting in. I resealed it and i hope this stops the dirt from getting in once and for all.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.