quick tool question

4 replies to this topic
  • Steel Panther

Posted October 01, 2010 - 08:48 AM

I usually do my work at my friends shop and use his fancy tools, but he is on vacation and I want to check my valves and I dont believe I have the correct size hex for the ignition plugs on my 2009. Anyone know what size they are, so I can pick one up on the way home? It was big if I remember rght!

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2010 - 09:02 AM

Check the end of your OEM spark plug tool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted October 01, 2010 - 09:15 AM

Check the end of your OEM spark plug tool.

you are one clever cat :smirk: lol I didnt even notice I got one, a spoke wrench too. I guess I should have looked in this envelope I got sooner.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2010 - 10:03 AM

The weird little steel rod with the plastic tube on the end is for picking the jet needle up out of the slide.

• Steel Panther

Posted October 02, 2010 - 01:33 AM

I had to make do with some automotive feeler gauges from autozone no curved ones I used last time but they worked. The intake were all well within spec, of .1-.15mm. I believe the closest size I had was .127mm, with .159 being way too big and .9somethin being too small.
The exhaust were a bit tighter(.2-.25mm spec I believe) with .178 not touching at all and .203mm being a pretty tight fit on the right, but I was able to slide it in it in there with some resistance. Im pretty sure I wrote down the clearences last time, but I cant find them:/ However, I remember .20something fitting much easier on both exhaust sides.
The bike has 39 hours and I checked it at 21 hours last time. Do you think im safe runnning it another 15 hours before checking it again? I guess im a little nervous to adjust the valves since ive never done it before and stripping cam covers scares me so Im hoping they stay put!

Edited by Steel Panther, October 02, 2010 - 02:15 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

• Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.