2010 Air Filter Maintenance

16 replies to this topic
  • dynamike

Posted October 01, 2010 - 06:48 AM

I decided to remove the smaller flat foam piece-the one just above the screen, so I could rinse it out. I noticed it was slightly tacky. Should I completely clean and oil it, or is the oil on it just residue from the main air filter? Thank you!

• brentn

Posted October 01, 2010 - 08:13 AM

I leave it dry, the main filter is what does the job of collecting dirt so you oil that. The thin piece of foam that you are referring to is to just simply keep larger dirt particles that can fit through the backfire screen out of the intake when you are cleaning the main filter.
You don't need to clean this as it should never really get dirty cause it's behind the main filter.

• Phil Hannah

Posted October 01, 2010 - 03:13 PM

I bought a few of the thin filters which only cost like $3. Its very hard not to drop a little dirt on it when you change your air filter so i change that also. I also oil it as a precaution. Dirt in your intake = $$$$

• delmas

Posted October 01, 2010 - 04:24 PM

I bought a few of the thin filters which only cost like $3. Its very hard not to drop a little dirt on it when you change your air filter so i change that also. I also oil it as a precaution. Dirt in your intake = $$$$

dt-1 is a great mod

• Phil Hannah

Posted October 01, 2010 - 05:46 PM

Is the dt1 easier to service? By the pics it looks like a tight fit and not scraping dirt off when pulling dirty filter would also be tricky.

• delmas

Posted October 02, 2010 - 03:37 AM

Is the dt1 easier to service? By the pics it looks like a tight fit and not scraping dirt off when pulling dirty filter would also be tricky.

its not as easy as stock but it makes a huge difference in performance !!!!!!!!!
well worth the effort

• steve_97060

Posted October 02, 2010 - 08:29 AM

One thing I noticed with this bike, the filter doesn't get nearly as dirty as my 06 did. I just did filter maintenace recently on my 2010 and our 09 250, the 250 was definetly in need of cleaning while the 450 was hardly dirty at all. What little dirt that does accumulate on it seems to be at the bottom of the filter only.

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2010 - 08:57 AM

I've never been quite sure why, except that it obviously has something to do with the way the cloud of dust attaches itself to the bike, but the air box/filter in both my '06's have always been far dirtier than those of my former '03 or the '01 250F. Even as subtle as the differences between those designs were, the filters got much dirtier much sooner in the '06-'09's.

On the new bike, I think moving the intake away from the back wheel is a benefit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • delmas

Posted October 02, 2010 - 01:46 PM

I've never been quite sure why, except that it obviously has something to do with the way the cloud of dust attaches itself to the bike, but the air box/filter in both my '06's have always been far dirtier than those of my former '03 or the '01 250F. Even as subtle as the differences between those designs were, the filters got much dirtier much sooner in the '06-'09's.

On the new bike, I think moving the intake away from the back wheel is a benefit.

the reason the dirt collects at the bottom is that is the only place the air comes in.I know that this has been discussed but I can tell you that going to the dt-1 filter system and opening some more air holes makes a huge difference in performance.I had to change my map to accomadate the increased air flow and the gains are well worth the money and effort it took to figure it out.I think the stock set up is a little restrictive on air flow.

• steve_97060

Posted October 03, 2010 - 11:52 AM

the reason the dirt collects at the bottom is that is the only place the air comes in.I know that this has been discussed but I can tell you that going to the dt-1 filter system and opening some more air holes makes a huge difference in performance.I had to change my map to accomadate the increased air flow and the gains are well worth the money and effort it took to figure it out.I think the stock set up is a little restrictive on air flow.

Delmas,
what was the install like?
what is the difference between the stock and dt1 filter cage/screen system?
did you add additional air holes?
what was the main difference in performance from stock versus the dt1 system before you changed maps?
how did you modify the map due to the increase in air flow?

thanks...

• delmas

Posted October 03, 2010 - 02:25 PM

Delmas,
what was the install like?
what is the difference between the stock and dt1 filter cage/screen system?
did you add additional air holes?
what was the main difference in performance from stock versus the dt1 system before you changed maps?
how did you modify the map due to the increase in air flow?

thanks...

The install is really easy.No mods needed.
The dt-1 is a over the cage system like our old bikes.
yes I did add more air holes
With the stock system I was running the map for sharpe throttle responce
more overall power.
After adding the dt-1 system the bike ran more like the stock map all 000,s
I went to the map for gradual responce long smooth delivery
and it just is a kick ass combo.It works great.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 03, 2010 - 05:13 PM

its not as easy as stock but it makes a huge difference in performance !!!!!!!!!
well worth the effort

In the dirtrider issue I got in the mail like a few days ago They were talking about the dt1 filter and said it didnt make a change in performance(horsepower) or throttle response, and was harder to get out witout having some dirt fall on to the thin filter, though they said it could be done but you just had to take your time when removing it.

• brentn

Posted October 03, 2010 - 05:56 PM

The first bottle neck you need to overcome on this bike for air flow is the air box itself. No matter what filter you use if you don't overcome the first issue it won't make a lickin difference in performance.

If you do the airbox mod and then start playing around with filters that might be the ticket to finding out which filter works best for flow.

• BBrown626

Posted October 03, 2010 - 07:41 PM

The install is really easy.No mods needed.
The dt-1 is a over the cage system like our old bikes.
yes I did add more air holes
With the stock system I was running the map for sharpe throttle responce
more overall power.
After adding the dt-1 system the bike ran more like the stock map all 000,s
I went to the map for gradual responce long smooth delivery
and it just is a kick ass combo.It works great.

Any pics of the additional air holes?

• brentn

Posted October 03, 2010 - 08:17 PM

Couldn't find pictures for it for a while but heard a few articles/people mention it. Finally found a shot of the mod here in this thread;

http://www.thumperta...ht=#post9713461

I'm thinking of trying it, but need to think about it more. Noise isn't really an issue but water and mud getting into the intake is for me, I ride in some nasty muddy conditions all the time...

• delmas

Posted October 04, 2010 - 03:59 AM

In the dirtrider issue I got in the mail like a few days ago They were talking about the dt1 filter and said it didnt make a change in performance(horsepower) or throttle response, and was harder to get out witout having some dirt fall on to the thin filter, though they said it could be done but you just had to take your time when removing it.

it is harder to change for sure .nothing is as easy as the 2010 stock set up.
but it is not that hard and if you have any skills at all you won,t be droping dirt

• delmas

Posted October 04, 2010 - 04:02 AM

The first bottle neck you need to overcome on this bike for air flow is the air box itself. No matter what filter you use if you don't overcome the first issue it won't make a lickin difference in performance.

If you do the airbox mod and then start playing around with filters that might be the ticket to finding out which filter works best for flow.

I agree completely with your assessment

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.