Rear tire for WR450 in harsh desert

37 replies to this topic
  • WideRatio

Posted October 07, 2010 - 12:10 AM

MX31 geomax, or MX51 geomax or MX71?

• JDLowrance

Posted October 07, 2010 - 05:40 AM

Probably MX51.

I'm tryng to sort out tire options as well at the moment. I've run the Maxxis desert IT and it lasted a good long time (even riding rock strewn and embedded trails). Doesn't hook up so well in the sand....obviously. Currently running a 739AT front (stock tire, which I actually like..but for price of replacement) and a 756 out back which hooks up well but wears quickly (always a trade off).

Just bought a set of Stones, 403 and 404. Will give them a try here shortly.

John

• GCannon

Posted October 07, 2010 - 02:43 PM

120... Maxxis Desert IT:thumbsup:
I run them almost year round in WA, you can air down to 5 PSI in the mud and be fine with the stiff carcass. Good in almost any conditions, really good in Desert and hard terrain conditions.

Like Gcannon says, stay away from the front, it's a POS that will only hurt you.

Just started using that Dunlop Geomax front and I LOVE IT! I used to condemn Dunlop anything but I really like this tire and have been running it in rocky hard pack and it's a performer for sure :smirk:

Don
are you using the mx51 90 or 80 on the front. I just got a 90 ready to mount will try it next week and report back. I am a sucker for tires on sale!

• mjslim

Posted October 07, 2010 - 06:33 PM

I've heard the Dunlop 756 has been discontinued. Got one more new one in the garage, then not sure what to buy.

For those who were a fan of the 756 for the front, what tire out there now do you consider similar in performance?

• CORider63

Posted October 07, 2010 - 07:27 PM

I've heard the Dunlop 756 has been discontinued. Got one more new one in the garage, then not sure what to buy.

For those who were a fan of the 756 for the front, what tire out there now do you consider similar in performance?

Dunlop MX31 (Soft Terrain) and MX51 (Soft-to-Intermediate Terrain)

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 08, 2010 - 11:48 AM

Sorry guys, I'll confirm the specific type tonight.... I really had no idea there were more than 1:bonk:

I bought it at an out of town shop on the way to a race that I knew I wanted a new front for. I asked the shop owner (known good guy and racer) what he had been using in this terrain and he said this Dunlop tire. He gave me a good deal on it so I could not refuse.... I was sooooooo glad I mounted that tire... 6hr Ironman event, basically desert terrain and the thing still looks new but the compund is really sticky and soft, amazing thats all I can say:excuseme:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 08, 2010 - 06:19 PM

Don
are you using the mx51 90 or 80 on the front. I just got a 90 ready to mount will try it next week and report back. I am a sucker for tires on sale!

MX51.... 80/100

Loving this tire! Have not used it in our western WA mud and roots yet but I have feeling it will hold it's own, not probably as good as an S12 but it will outlast an S12, I am sure of that.

• LT1coupe

Posted November 13, 2010 - 06:59 AM

For AZ rock riding the Maxxis Desert IT looses knobs badly but hooks up fairly well. My new favorite is the MX71 Dunlop, I've run Michelins Xc12's, Maxxis Deserts, Dunlop 606, 739, 908RR & the MX71. The MX71 wears simular to the 606 with better traction. I have a few bud's that like the Dunlop 952, I have not tried it.

• yz-dwg

Posted November 15, 2010 - 12:55 PM

I like the Maxxis desert but tried a MX51 and was surprised by the wear, or lack thereof, lasted almost as long as the desert and seemed to have a little better traction, like the MX51 on the front. I ride all desert, all the time......

p.s. I have a 120 Maxxis desert on back order, so I guess I like it better

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted November 15, 2010 - 01:42 PM

MX51.... 80/100

Loving this tire! Have not used it in our western WA mud and roots yet but I have feeling it will hold it's own, not probably as good as an S12 but it will outlast an S12, I am sure of that.

I am very happy with the 90/100 front I am coming off a Maxxis SI 80/100 which I was also happy with but I hated the Maxxis IT front.

The 90 seems to take a little more effort to turn in but seems catch better and hold the big heavy WR in the turn better even in the sand.

• WideRatio

Posted November 15, 2010 - 03:16 PM

Big Heavy WR? Whats that compared to?

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 15, 2010 - 06:35 PM

Big Heavy WR? Whats that compared to?

A dump truck....

• WideRatio

Posted November 15, 2010 - 10:19 PM

No way, wr450 is way lighter. Do you mean an empty dump truck?

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 16, 2010 - 08:31 AM

An empty dump truck with me at the wheel :p

I think the dump truck handles the turns better:ride:

• GCannon

Posted November 16, 2010 - 11:21 AM

A dump truck....

Exactly!:p

• WideRatio

Posted November 16, 2010 - 11:47 AM

Cause of the battery and starter? What enduro handles better? I thought I got the best of the best. Please elaborate so I can buy that one.

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 16, 2010 - 12:24 PM

WR - I am not doing a good job of communicating the sarcasm. You wont find a more die hard advocate of the WR than me.... I have ridden and raced them all since 99'.

They are anything but a light bike.... I'm 6'3" 220lb and if I wanted a light bike I would never consider a WR, it is what it is.

As far as the best handling enduro? I don't think I would go that far but I will give them the best "all around do it all" bike, especially for big guys like me.

I stil think it turns like a dump truck but thats what berms, trees and other bikes are for :p

• WideRatio

Posted November 16, 2010 - 02:58 PM

Whew! I was worried. I was thinking for a split second that I should have gotten a 450X or 450EXC. Now I can breathe again. Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.