What is the most distance anyone has gone without major engine work?

7 replies to this topic
  • Garry

Posted June 29, 2003 - 02:56 PM

Hi
I have durability related questions directed to those with a lot of miles/kms on their WR4.
At this point I have 6,000 miles/10,000 km on my WR426
Being aware of the great variety of usage conditions, but assuming good maintainance:

1.) What is the most distance anyone has gone without major engine work?(opening the engine)

2.) What is typically the first point of failure/wear in the WR4 motors

3.) What is the typical miles/kms before major engine work?: (rebore/valve work/cam chain..)

Honda XRs could seemingly do 18,000miles/30,000km as a max before cam chain wear/valves required a rebuild. From our collective experience, does a well maintained WR4 match this?

Garry

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 29, 2003 - 03:07 PM

I think the WR engines are good for 10,000 miles under non racing conditions. You need to do your valve clearances once a season. :)

• SMD

Posted June 29, 2003 - 05:55 PM

I would agree with Indy.There are several WR4's in our group with 6 to 8k and one due to hit 12k this summer again under non-racing conditions. Each with nothing more than a valve adjustment.Its a strong design. :)

• blue_beast_wins

Posted June 29, 2003 - 06:51 PM

I had my motor torn down at about 6000 k's for gear box failure, i did fit a new piston and rings at that time just because.......well........ it was apart, going by what i saw at the time i think these things (well maintained) are good for 15-20,000 K's, the thing's that will stop this kind of milage are the gear box and the timing chain :)
I have 8,000k's on mine now,

Try pm "Sabin", he'd have to have around 14,000 k's by now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoLocoPat

Posted June 30, 2003 - 12:47 PM

I run Moto-Loco.com tours using WR-426's 2001 models. My "Personal" 426 has approximately 12-14,000 miles on it and it is running as good as new. another has about 7K and another around 5K. No problems from any, no noises no leaks. I just change the oil and clean the filters regulary but during a tour they go until the end of tour without a change which is about 800-1000 miles. I expect mine to go 20K easily. I would get on it right now and go on a 2000 mile trip. I do run a Scott's stainless steel filter on all of my bikes. Better filtering qualities :)

• emcdan

Posted July 01, 2003 - 05:35 AM

I bought a new yz400 in '97. Rode the crap out of it. Adjusted the valves once after a year. They never tightened up again. Changed oil every couple of rides (nothing but Honda HP4) I was always tempted to take it apart and check upper/lower end but didn't. I have no idea the mileage but I'd guess between 20K and 25K. Never a problem with it. Most of these bikes are incredibly resiliant. :)

• the426master

Posted July 01, 2003 - 05:40 AM

i have 4623miles on my 426 but you half to do the valves often I do mine in the winter. :)

• sabin

Posted July 03, 2003 - 09:34 PM

you are almost right I have about 15000km now. I have adjusted valves once and that's all. I have no notisable oil consumation, bike rips. I guess I'll have to change cam chain and rings soon. I change oil on every 700-800 km. (when it changes color)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.