need more power! KTM 300 xc-w.

43 replies to this topic
  • KTM 2 SMOKER

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

hello everyone! ill jump to the chase, i have a 2010 KTM 300 xc-w and i need more power!! ive got a fmf gnarly pipe and a jd jetting kit with a turbine core 2 with the stock jetting specs.i run a 32:1 oil mixture. i have stock power valve spring. but! i have ordered a boyesen RAD valve(seems to better than vforce3), ordered a fmf shorty(would like more low end). i need more power!! can anyone help me? any help would be nice :smirk:

• adrenalinejunkie

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

try 50:1 oil mix and an SX 300 head

• KTM 2 SMOKER

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

OK. do you know where i can find it? a website maybe? i have hunted for it before and got nothing. :smirk::p thanks!

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

50:1 isn't good if you're hammering it. You can install the red powervalve spring for a bit more hit.

Check on ktmtalk.com for Clay's machine shop. He can recut the head for better performance. Also some mild porting of the cylinder can help.

If that isn't enough then look around for a nice 380. They really put it down. :smirk:

• gmoss357

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

hello everyone! ill jump to the chase, i have a 2010 KTM 300 xc-w and i need more power!! ive got a fmf gnarly pipe and a jd jetting kit with a turbine core 2 with the stock jetting specs.i run a 32:1 oil mixture. i have stock power valve spring. but! i have ordered a boyesen RAD valve(seems to better than vforce3), ordered a fmf shorty(would like more low end). i need more power!! can anyone help me? any help would be nice :smirk:

all that money already spent would have been better spent on a jug port and head milling. you got to get it burning efficiently before worrying about everything else.

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

all that money already spent would have been better spent on a jug port and head milling. you got to get it burning efficiently before worrying about everything else.

I beat you to it. :smirk:

• KTM 2 SMOKER

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

im really looking to get all my power to low to midrange. as i do alot of wheelies(slow and fast). i enjoy doing a stunts on 2 strokes. (yes..i know).:smirk:

• KTM 2 SMOKER

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

50:1 isn't good if you're hammering it. You can install the red powervalve spring for a bit more hit.

Check on ktmtalk.com for Clay's machine shop. He can recut the head for better performance. Also some mild porting of the cylinder can help.

If that isn't enough then look around for a nice 380. They really put it down. :smirk:

ok thanks alot guys. and dont worry more parts are on there way:thumbsup:
i really have been looking a diffrent people trying to decide which company to use. im a little skeptical about shipping off my 1000 dollar cylinder and head. i just dont want anyone to screw up everything i got going. but right now im gonna see how the things ive purchased work, then ill get the porting done, im still interested in the 300 sx head though! what are its benefits?? thanks!!

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

im really looking to get all my power to low to midrange. as i do alot of wheelies(slow and fast). i enjoy doing a stunts on 2 strokes. (yes..i know).:p

Hmm.... :smirk: This is a little different story. The Gnarly is a good choice with the green spring. Most of the mods are more for mid to top end performance. The 2010 is one of the better 2 strokes for bottom end ranking almost as good as the GasGas 300.

The head can still be recut and the cylinder ported but I don't think you'll gain that much on the low end. You might try some straight taper needles like the CCK or DDK. There's a really good jetting forum on the KTM board. Once again though it won't make much difference. If you're blessed with a fair amount of money then get this, the Service Honda AF500. I've ridden one, only crazy people need apply and I'm not one of them.

Posted Image

500cc of 2 stroke goodness. :cheers:

The only other thing I can think of is one of the big bore KTM or Husaberg 4 strokes.

• cubera

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

Freshen the top end and make sure it's jetted right. FMF can help you with that if you can't find the info here. If that's not enough then ship your head and cylinder to Slavens Racing. For $130 plus shipping he'll turn your 300 into a shoulder dislocating animal ride. Be prepared for a motor that makes fast 450F's seem like toys.

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

im really looking to get all my power to low to midrange. as i do alot of wheelies(slow and fast). i enjoy doing a stunts on 2 strokes. (yes..i know).:smirk:

Oh, a friend of mine that weighs well over 350lbs (competes in Ironman contests) can easily do 5th gear wheelies on his 300. Skill and confidence is all that's required.

I see you're 15. Remember this one, practice, practice practice. More power isn't the end all be all.

Be careful out there. :p

• gmoss357

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

ok thanks alot guys. and dont worry more parts are on there way:thumbsup:
i really have been looking a diffrent people trying to decide which company to use. im a little skeptical about shipping off my 1000 dollar cylinder and head. i just dont want anyone to screw up everything i got going. but right now im gonna see how the things ive purchased work, then ill get the porting done, im still interested in the 300 sx head though! what are its benefits?? thanks!!

Slavens won't mess up your cyl and head. You are wasting money buying all this bling. The SXS head will help, but you can save a wad of dough having your head milled and it will be just as good, maybe better.

Munn Racing or Slavens will do good work, even Mike at Cycle Playground will do good work. Search mule port or call and talk to Slavens. I think you will get all you can handle. About to forget, KTMworld can take your 300 as far as you want to go, just depends on how deep your pockets are.

I know young uns know everything, but if you listen, you may just learn a little sumthin. :smirk:

• gmoss357

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

I beat you to it. :p

:smirk:

if ya ain't first yer last!! :cheers:

• KTM 2 SMOKER

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

If that isn't enough then look around for a nice 380. They really put it down. :p

Hmm.... :smirk: This is a little different story. The Gnarly is a good choice with the green spring. Most of the mods are more for mid to top end performance. The 2010 is one of the better 2 strokes for bottom end ranking almost as good as the GasGas 300.

The head can still be recut and the cylinder ported but I don't think you'll gain that much on the low end. You might try some straight taper needles like the CCK or DDK. There's a really good jetting forum on the KTM board. Once again though it won't make much difference. If you're blessed with a fair amount of money then get this, the Service Honda AF500. I've ridden one, only crazy people need apply and I'm not one of them.

Posted Image

500cc of 2 stroke goodness. :cheers:

The only other thing I can think of is one of the big bore KTM or Husaberg 4 strokes.

well i JUST bought this bike and ive already got 3k into it. (its a supermoto). but maybe one day i might get one of these:ride:Posted Image

• KTM 2 SMOKER

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Oh, a friend of mine that weighs well over 350lbs (competes in Ironman contests) can easily do 5th gear wheelies on his 300. Skill and confidence is all that's required.

I see you're 15. Remember this one, practice, practice practice. More power isn't the end all be all.

Be careful out there. :smirk:

thanks for the advice:thumbsup: but skill isnt NECCESARILY the problem , not just the other day i pulled a wheelie doing 71 mph. ive got the wheelies down. i have a strange facination with 2 strokes and love getting better and better on it everyday. im trying really hard to learn slow wheelies:banghead:i can get em for a short distance but then they drop down! i think if i could just get that little boost on the low end it could help me!? plus i just like riding a 2 smoker that blows the hinges off every 450 out there:banana:

• KTM 2 SMOKER

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

Slavens won't mess up your cyl and head. You are wasting money buying all this bling. The SXS head will help, but you can save a wad of dough having your head milled and it will be just as good, maybe better.

Munn Racing or Slavens will do good work, even Mike at Cycle Playground will do good work. Search mule port or call and talk to Slavens. I think you will get all you can handle. About to forget, KTMworld can take your 300 as far as you want to go, just depends on how deep your pockets are.

I know young uns know everything, but if you listen, you may just learn a little sumthin. :p

if i knew everything i wouldnt be on this forum would i now? :cheers: but the bling does help. keep in mind i want every little boost i can get. i also wanna change my bikes power( more low to mid) . but how do you think things would work if i got the sxs head and had slavens port my clylinder? thanks! :smirk:

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

i think if i could just get that little boost on the low end it could help me!? plus i just like riding a 2 smoker that blows the hinges off every 450 out there:banana:

A friend of mine can rides wheelies on virtually any bike until it runs out of gas. As a matter of fact we met him a dozen years ago when he passed us on a trail on a xr250 pinned in fifth riding a wheelie over erosion berms and such. Wheelies have virtually nothing to do with power, it's all control.

You'll be hard pressed to beat some of the big 4 strokes. The 450sx or 505 are monsters and will usually eat a 300 alive in the power department, especially if they're modified.

It sounds like you've spent enough money for a bit. Work on your skills for a while and then decide what you want to do. Always keep in mind the old saying "90% rider, 10% bike".

• KTM 2 SMOKER

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

Freshen the top end and make sure it's jetted right. FMF can help you with that if you can't find the info here. If that's not enough then ship your head and cylinder to Slavens Racing. For $130 plus shipping he'll turn your 300 into a shoulder dislocating animal ride. Be prepared for a motor that makes fast 450F's seem like toys.

ok thanks alot! do you have any expierence with the slavens port? where does it gain power? :smirk:

• mauricio

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

Mill the head until you have .060" squish, and bore the carb to 38mm and hang on!! Best of all is these mods cost next to nothing. Your local machine shop can do this but you will have to take the carb apart, remove the floats and then you will see the Torx screws that attach the main jet holder to the carb body. Remove the Torx screws and then remove the jet holder. Now you can bore the carb: Take note that when you look at the carb throat at the front of the carb, it has more "meat" at the top, so the machinist will have to offset bore the carb. Pretty simple once you look at it.

With these mods and a Pro Circuit pipe, the 300 becomes a beast. 450´s seem tame in comparison.

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

If he bores from 36 to 38 it will tend to soften the bottom end slightly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.