Should I by an 05 yzf450 for $1800??

9 replies to this topic
  • enliven

Posted September 28, 2010 - 03:57 PM

Im not that familiar with later model bikes, wanting to upgrade from my 07 rmz250 to a 450 and found a pretty clean 05 yzf450 that has a new topend (piston, cams, tensioner, valves..).

Does this seem good or would a bit newer provide alot more bang for the buck?

TIA!

• Wikki

Posted September 28, 2010 - 07:34 PM

The 05' is a great bike (last year of steel frame). Last year I thought I should upgrade to a newer bike because I see posted so much "the aluminum frame bikes are so superior to the metal frame bikes and the speed -sensitive-suspension is so much better than the position-sensitive-suspension and if you want to rule at the track you have to have the newer bike". I bought into it. Luckily my friends cousin had an 08' for sale and he was cool enough to take it to the track with us (Competitive Edge MX) I swapped between my 05' and his 08' for the day and never felt enough of a difference to get rid of my 05'. I looked at it like this: The 08' suspension was revalved from Enzo and it had a FMF full exhaust and jet. like my 05' is revalved and has a DrD full exhaust and jet set up. So no bike had any real after market advantage. I ride 90% tracks and you get a real good understanding of a bikes performance because your always pushing the engine, handling and suspension of a bike. I'm no Ryan Dungy but I get it on.
I gotta admit the aluminum frames look cooler.

• brentn

Posted September 28, 2010 - 07:46 PM

Yea you get into aluminum frames and the SSS suspension, both of which are def better.

However, the steel frame has it's pro's over aluminum, that year also came with twin chamber forks which are still very very good.
1800$ is a steal where I come from if it's in good shape, but unless you tear the motor apart and start checking things, you honestly won't know if the top end was just done or not. Reciepts would be a plus, but still....
I think for any used yz two or four stroke, the buyer should always slap on another couple hundred for a top end rebuild with piston, rings pin etc as the minimum. This will give you piece of mind that it was really done, by you!

• 98WR400F

Posted September 28, 2010 - 08:53 PM

put the 04 cdi on it and thn it will really rip. $1800 is a good buy if its in overall good shape and the twin chamber forks work really well.

• enliven

Posted September 28, 2010 - 09:19 PM

thanks for the input, Im checking it out in person tomorrow and will most likely pick it up...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • enliven

Posted September 28, 2010 - 09:21 PM

put the 04 cdi on it and thn it will really rip. $1800 is a good buy if its in overall good shape and the twin chamber forks work really well.

where can I find info about the CDI swap?

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2010 - 09:34 PM

Here's the info:

• Buy the '04 CDI
  • Plug it in

:smirk:

• enliven

Posted September 28, 2010 - 09:52 PM

Here's the info:

• Buy the '04 CDI
  • Plug it in

:smirk:

LOL, I asked for it I suppose :p
What I wanted to know is what exactly the benefits were... I found a few posts talking about it but nothing as to "more top and bottom" or "hits harder" or "more top, less bottom" etc...

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2010 - 06:20 AM

Pretty much more power from the bottom to the upper mid range.

• 98WR400F

Posted September 29, 2010 - 09:54 AM

i just did the cdi swap on my 05 and i am very happy now. lots of low and midrange improvement. i found a used 04 cdi on ebay for $45. in my opinion best mod to do to the 05.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.