HD Bridgestone tubes are meaty...

9 replies to this topic
  • live_to_ride

Posted June 29, 2003 - 09:36 AM

Wow! What a chore. I just put my new tires and tubes on. I just wanted to find out if anyone else has used the bridgestone heavy duty tubes. That thing was like putting a tire in a tire! I used the msr ultra heavy duty tube in the rear, and it wasn't nearly as thick as the bridgestone. Has anyone else had any good/bad experiences with the bridgestone hd tubes? If anyone is looking for a really good tube, I think this is it. :)

:D

• r1superstar

Posted June 29, 2003 - 01:45 PM

I've got Michelins in mine. It was a piece of cake, front and rear..................db :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 29, 2003 - 02:52 PM

You need to use grease to get the HD ones in with todays dual rim locks. :)

• 433rd

Posted June 29, 2003 - 05:45 PM

:)

• live_to_ride

Posted June 29, 2003 - 06:19 PM

You need to use grease to get the HD ones in with todays dual rim locks. :)

That's the first I've heard of that. I didn't grease anything, but that would have made putting it in a little easier. Fresh tires, especially hard compound tires, are a bitch to mount on the rear wheel. If it fails, I'll let everyone know. I know that one of the most popular local shops does not use grease. I'm probably not going to loose any sleep over it. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MOmilkman

Posted June 30, 2003 - 04:27 AM

Ive been using the Bridgstones for years with great success. all my friends have pinch flats all the time and I just keep on truckin.

I have tried other brands, but nothing matches the thickness of the bridgestone. :)

• Merfman

Posted June 30, 2003 - 06:11 AM

I had problems in the past with Bridgestone HD tubes delaminating
from the inside. They sounded like they were full of
little ball bearings. After a while, the little balls
beat about a million holes in the thing from the inside out.
Leaked like a soaker hose after that... be interesting to see
if they got that problem fixed.

As far as "other" tubes, check out the Fly Racing HD tubes.
They're the thickest I've seen...

Merf

• foursmoke

Posted June 30, 2003 - 07:00 AM

Wouldn't talc or baby powder work well also? I put 2 new tires and tubes on my sons XR80 and used baby powder inside the tire and rotated it until the whole inside of the tire was coated. I then mounted 1 side of the tire, installed the tube, then the other side. No pinched tubes! :) Sometimes I think the smaller tires are harder to mount due to their diameter :D.

Smoke :D

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted June 30, 2003 - 10:12 AM

I didn't grease anything, but that would have made putting it in a little easier. Fresh tires, especially hard compound tires, are a bitch to mount on the rear wheel. If it fails, I'll let everyone know. I know that one of the most popular local shops does not use grease. I'm probably not going to loose any sleep over it. :)

Well, grease and petroleum product can react funny with rubber, like swelling it way up. What you want to use is a can of silicone spray. Buy this at any parts house, makes installing and removing tires/tubes a snap!

• emcdan

Posted July 01, 2003 - 05:19 AM

I don't think I'd use petroleum products on a tube. I used to but more than once I had a tube to gum up and not last very long. I think it kinda melts the tube if you use a lot of it. I now use diluted dishwashing liquid. Good and slippery then drys up. Oil products won't dry.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.