08 WR 450 front end a little twitchy

11 replies to this topic
  • rcmx67

Posted September 27, 2010 - 11:31 PM

My 08 WR front end is a little twitchy in the sand and rocks. My YZ 250 is much more stable. This is a recent purchase and I haven't checked the sag. The forks are in their stock position. The bike has been reworked for a 200 lb rider which is perfect for me.

Is the WR just very maneuverable and a little more to manage at the same time?

• wondermuscle

Posted September 28, 2010 - 09:18 AM

:smirk: Set the sag and report back.... That should be the first thing you do when you are drinking beer marveling at your new steed.

• CORider63

Posted September 28, 2010 - 07:12 PM

...and throw away the stock Dunlop 739 front tire ASAP.

• rcmx67

Posted September 28, 2010 - 07:56 PM

Yes, the sag will be next. The Dunlop is was the first thing that went. I like a Bridgestone 400 or 600 series for all-around riding.

So, does it have a reputation for being twitchy? I mean, it turns really well I just have to stay on top of it. The sag may change all of that of course.

Posted September 28, 2010 - 08:13 PM

I have since had my suspension revalved, but stock I got rid of the front 739FA that came with it, set the sag, and made the forks basically flush with the triple clamps. Playing with the clickers helps a lot too, but it's a little tougher with stock suspension as the stock valving is too stiff to make up for springs that are too soft. Even so, with the stock suspension I felt this bike was nearly as stable in the desert as my old 650R. Still don't feel a stabilizer is mandatory on this bike and it still turns fine for me.

• kawi380

Posted September 29, 2010 - 05:12 AM

I have had my WR revalved also, but I don't remember it being real twitchy with the stock suspension. I have always run a damper so maybe I am not the right person to judge here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CORider63

Posted September 29, 2010 - 05:40 AM

I've never had an issue with my '07 being twitchy, at all. :smirk:

• rcmx67

Posted September 29, 2010 - 09:48 PM

I've got a sag issue for sure. Will adjust and go ride.

Posted October 02, 2010 - 11:04 AM

How does one go about adjusting sag on your front forks on the 08-09 WR 450's?

I dont see any preload adjustment? Do you have to open them up and use shims or what?

Posted October 03, 2010 - 09:32 AM

How does one go about adjusting sag on your front forks on the 08-09 WR 450's?

I dont see any preload adjustment? Do you have to open them up and use shims or what?

There is no preload adjustment on the front. Setting the sag out back will effectively give you the correct geometry along with sliding the forks up or down in the clamps a bit. My understanding is that you can preload the front springs with shims, but if you have the correct springs in there for your weight and riding style you should not need to do that. Check out the spring calculator on the Race Tech website first to see if you are in the ballpark with your current springs.

• rcmx67

Posted October 10, 2010 - 10:30 PM

I got a good ride in today with a better sag setting. It's much better now. I played with the clickers too and got some of the wallow out of it. The prev. owner had it set really soft. I'm not all the way there yet but getting closer. This bike turns well. I may lower the forks just a little in the clamps.

• YamaLink

Posted October 11, 2010 - 08:52 AM

Good to hear! A few mm this way or that way makes a world of diff up front....but it changes, again, if you adjust rear sag. But it sounds like you're on the way to a good balance!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.