wr450 left side cover breach

4 replies to this topic
  • masterraptor

Posted September 27, 2010 - 07:23 PM

I thought those plastic skid plates on the 07 wr450 and newer was pretty cool. But I dropped the bike on the left side and cracked the cover right thru the skid plate. Didn't know it at the time. Lost a bunch of oil. There is still oil on the dip stick, not much tho. Hopefully I didn't take any life off the motor. It sounds good still. Will need to put a metal skid plate on for sure.

Anyway, I need to replace the side cover. Are there any aftermarket anodized or polished covers out there? I found clutch covers, but not left side covers.

• GuyGraham

Posted September 28, 2010 - 04:06 AM

When I was looking for case protectors for mine, I was told that the Left side is quite robust and hence why one isn't made for it

Sounds like you were unlucky to breach it

On the oil issue, I blew the gearbox oil seal and lost most of my oil during a 2.5 enduro
When I drained the oil out there was only 175ml in it, which scared the shit out of me. I had the cams out and there was no damage to the journals etc , and now I've put at least another 10hrs on it with no issues, so if yours was still showing on the dipstick then it'll be fine for sure

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • masterraptor

Posted September 28, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Thanks! That makes me feel much better.

I guess I can have the cover welded up, but dont really want the scar.

It looks like the 2009 covers are black. Is this anodized? They are also cheaper than the 2007. Are these interchangeble? They look the same in the diagrams.

• GuyGraham

Posted September 28, 2010 - 11:02 AM

Nope - just painted which lasts about 1 ride before wearing off

I think the 07-10 are all interchangeable, but not absolutely certain

• masterraptor

Posted September 28, 2010 - 08:19 PM

Ill just get 'er welded I guess. Then polish. Should look better than worn off paint.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.