Follow the procedure!

6 replies to this topic
  • 426_Pilot

Posted February 20, 2001 - 08:27 PM

I just picked up my new machine this evening. Even tho it was 9:30pm when I got home, I couldn't resist firing it up. Since I've read so much about how difficult these are to start, I printed the MXA instructions from this web site and was very anal in the way I followed them. I didn't kick very hard at all and voila, she was talkin' to me! I wanted to shred my lawn at that moment! I hope that it is always this easy.

• 426_Pilot

Posted February 20, 2001 - 08:33 PM

PS. No blips of the throttle (as the MXA tips page says is an option). I decided that on the first try I wouldn't and if she wouldn't light, then I'd try the blips. Obviously it wasn't necessary.

• forloop

Posted February 20, 2001 - 08:34 PM

Yes. I have had my bike a little over a week. It always starts first or second kick. Always take your time and follow the drill.

01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXOldtimer

Posted February 20, 2001 - 09:24 PM

My bike has always been a start as well, 1-3 kicks but when your in a race and the jucies are flowing its hard to stop and go through the drill, "BUT YOU HAVE TOO" or you'll be sitting there much longer if you start stabbing at it like you do a 2 smoke.

• motoman393

Posted February 21, 2001 - 04:19 PM

sort of like fonseca does with his 250F...and he blames it on the bike!

I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• YZThumpa

Posted February 21, 2001 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, after that race where he finished 13th or whatever, they interviewed Ernie's mechanic and he basically said, "If he would settle down and follow the procedure..."

• motoman393

Posted February 21, 2001 - 05:35 PM

and then Fonseca has Yamaha build him a 10k clutch that freewheels like a 2 smoke...engine braking can be a BIG advantage if he would just learn how to use it! Oh well, enough fonseca bashing...I hope he keeps winning but im sure Pastrana will "lay down the law" and wheelie past fonseca (like he did through the whoops in the national season...that was sweet)

I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.