2006 WR 450 starter removal

8 replies to this topic
  • jayh300

Posted September 26, 2010 - 01:07 PM

so my starter has quit again on my 06 wr and rode most of the day saturday without it... i have always toyed with the idea of removing the starter and the battery, but want to keep the headlamp and digital speedo..
have read a few posts on this, but not on the 06..
any insight ???

thanks in advance

jay

• jayh300

Posted September 29, 2010 - 05:30 AM

as a follow up... the 06 starts fine without a battery .. kick only..
the digital display works, but resets itself every shut off without a battery to store memory.. the headlamp works great... the speedo goes nuts...
need to ride to see if i like it that way..

• William1

Posted September 29, 2010 - 05:50 AM

Put a capacitor in place of the battery, it will 'calm' the speedo and may improve low speed running and idle.

What did you use to blank off the starter drive opening?

Once you are happy with the setup, you can also remove th4e torque limiter and stater clutch, losses a few more pounds. Do not cut up the wiring harness and save all the parts neatly.

• jayh300

Posted September 29, 2010 - 06:02 AM

i removed all parts and have them in a zip lock bag... i have taken the starter clutch and the gear that is on the shaft off also.. (the one that has the flat bearing )
i used an automotive expanding rubber freeze plug for the hole.. it is very tight, but i am gonna watch it close.. i just unplugged the speedo input and sealed it off for right now..
i had the starter rebuilt a while ago.. i guess when they reassembled, they split the oring that sealed it.. it is solid rust...
not sure how much weight is off it.. but yz rear fender, no coolant resv, no starter, no battery, some wiring... what kind of capacitor would you put in it ? was thinking about somehow wiring up a small battry, maybe even a 9v, just enough to hold memory ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted September 29, 2010 - 07:20 AM

Something around this size

19000UF 25V DC ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITOR

I think you may regret loosing the recovery tank unless your speeds are such that you never get hot.

• jayh300

Posted September 29, 2010 - 09:19 AM

i have had the coolant tank off all summer... i came off a yz400f, so i learned pretty quick what to do to keep them coolish..grayracer taught me well...
did not boil over once... we were in the upper 90's most of the summer..

• William1

Posted September 29, 2010 - 10:38 AM

i have had the coolant tank off all summer... i came off a yz400f, so i learned pretty quick what to do to keep them coolish..grayracer taught me well...
did not boil over once... we were in the upper 90's most of the summer..

ah, a show-off, I see! :smirk:

• jayh300

Posted September 29, 2010 - 11:32 AM

ah, a show-off, I see! :p

no.... not really...
found the yz400f .... bought it... got it home... could not start it..(still manual decomp)
found this sight... figured out how to start it.. first ride out i got behind
some guys and let it idle for about 5 minutes... you know the rest..

it has taken awhile, but he (grayracer) has been very patient with me... he just did the suspension on this bike with the smart performance stuff... very cool..
kinda hard seeing your forks and shock leave in a ups truck to a guy you only know thru the internet..... but WOW that wr is a changed bike...

found a part out on ebay today... 65 for the starter and cable, so i bought it.. if i ever sell it, it will need it.. we will see...

thanks william..:smirk:

jay

• jayh300

Posted October 05, 2010 - 11:55 AM

as a follow up... i really could not tell much difference on the wr without the starter and battery... and it was harder to start hot without the battery in.. not sure why..last weekend i rode it without the starter, but with the battery and it was one kick.. everytime...
starter should be here today... gonna put it and the battery back on..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.