SSR pitbike 125 idle issue...

15 replies to this topic
  • snowman_audio

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Hey everyone i am having some issues getting my SSR 125 pitbike to stay idling. I just bought the bike about 2 weeks ago and the idle has never been able to run without the choke being on full. Now it is having a hard time keeping running even with the choke on full (since i have been playing with the settings). It also backfires a little, but not bad and there is no smoke. The bike also runs pretty good when moving, but i have to turn the choke off when moving to get it to run good. I am just not sure if i am doing it right. I am including pic's with this post. Can some please point out what i am suppose to be changing? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eavery

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:16 AM

well it sounds to me as if your fuel screw needs adjusted it is on the bottom of the carb in front of the fuel bowl only do 1/4 turn at a time it is also a good idea to clean the carb and tank ive seen plastic shavings in the tanks before its common

• dirtbkr188

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:24 AM

As eavery said above, make the adjustments in 1/4-turn increments OUT to richen the mixture, and see if it improves. You may have to go to the next larger size pilot jet if the fuel screw is more than 3 turns out from seated, you run the risk of losing the fuel screw, then.

• eavery

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

also the screw on the right hand side of the carb is your idle screw it'll raise and lower your slide(in raises idle out lowers idle) pop the filter off and make shure it isnt closing all the way

• snowman_audio

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

Ok i tried turning the bottom screw and it will not clockwise, but when i turn it counter clockwise fuel flows out the over flow tube. So i don't understand what that screw actually does. I checked the spark plug it was a little black. So i cleaned it and tried again. But again it runs when the choke is on full, but the revs are very high. Then when i turn the choke off the revs go up for a second then drops and stalls. I try to keep it going by giving it gas, but the revs get very rough and it starts to backfire a lot then when i let go of the gas it will sputter and cut off.

Any ideas?????

• snowman_audio

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

also the screw on the right hand side of the carb is your idle screw it'll raise and lower your slide(in raises idle out lowers idle) pop the filter off and make shure it isnt closing all the way

I checked and it is not close to being closed (i would say about 1/4 open, with no throttle). Is that bad?

• dirtbkr188

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

...your fuel screw needs adjusted it is on the bottom of the carb in front of the fuel bowl...

Here is the location of the fuel mixture screw, this is the screw eavery meant.

Posted Image

You were opening the float bowl drain screw.

• snowman_audio

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

Here is the location of the fuel mixture screw, this is the screw eavery meant.

You were opening the float bowl drain screw.

LOL thankyou. I thought that was the drain screw. LOL

What way is what. Clockwise is lean, counter clockwise is rich? Or is it the other way around?

And is there an easier way to get to that screw? Its locations is really hard to get to.

Edited by snowman_audio, 27 September 2010 - 12:39 AM.

• dirtbkr188

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:15 AM

...Clockwise is lean, counter clockwise is rich?...

For your particular carb, yes, that is correct.

• Siik23

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

is that a 26mm carb? if so its the same one i had and it's a peice of you know what. Go to pitsterpro and buy thier VM22 carb and it will bolt right on with no adjustents other than probably the idle. Let me know if that works for you. it's only like $35-50 buck i think.

• snowman_audio

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

is that a 26mm carb? if so its the same one i had and it's a peice of you know what. Go to pitsterpro and buy thier VM22 carb and it will bolt right on with no adjustents other than probably the idle. Let me know if that works for you. it's only like $35-50 buck i think.

This is the stock carb for the SSR 125 bike. How do i check what carb it is?

• snowman_audio

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:56 PM

I turned the air/ fuel screw and nothing happened. it looks like i could only turn it one way, so what is a starting point? i heard somewhere else that you should start at 2 1/2 turns out? Is that a good place to start? Thanks for all the help.

• dirtbkr188

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

Try starting out at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns OUT from seated, and see what the bike does. Make your adjustments in 1/4-turn increments to see if it improves. If you get to the point where the fuel screw is 3 turns OUT from seated, you need a bigger pilot jet. You run the risk of losing the screw that many turns out. On the other hand, if you get be within a 1/2 turn OUT from being seated, you might want to go to a smaller pilot jet.

• snowman_audio

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

Try starting out at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns OUT from seated, and see what the bike does. Make your adjustments in 1/4-turn increments to see if it improves. If you get to the point where the fuel screw is 3 turns OUT from seated, you need a bigger pilot jet. You run the risk of losing the screw that many turns out. On the other hand, if you get be within a 1/2 turn OUT from being seated, you might want to go to a smaller pilot jet.

Ok i this out and found the it was 4 or 5 full turns out, so i reseated and started 1 1/2. I am not sure if this was the problem or not. Nothing really changed.

The bike kicks everytime and will stay running when the choke is on fully, but whenever i turn the choke off it will sputter and cut off (sounds like it is not getting enough gas to stay idling)

Where should the idler screw be started at (how many turns out) or an i barking up the wring tree?

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

• dirtbkr188

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:30 PM

The pilot jet circuit in the carb is clogged or dirty, if the bike only runs with the choke on. You need to disassemble it completely, use contact cleaner and compressed air to flush out and clean all the passageways in the carb. Make sure you can see through the pilot and main jets before you put them back in place. Clean the air filter and make sure it is properly oiled and dry before using.

• snowman_audio

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

The pilot jet circuit in the carb is clogged or dirty, if the bike only runs with the choke on. You need to disassemble it completely, use contact cleaner and compressed air to flush out and clean all the passageways in the carb. Make sure you can see through the pilot and main jets before you put them back in place. Clean the air filter and make sure it is properly oiled and dry before using.

You are a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what was wrong with it!!!!!!!! It runs like a champ. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.