2010 300 xcw electric start

87 replies to this topic
  • darryl581

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

struggles to start, sometimes sounds like starter disengages from flywheel weight and spins freely. I have maybe 20 hrs on the bike,:ride::ride: any help appreciated

• tucker78

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

If you have such few hours on a bike, i would assume you bought it new. So why wouldn't you just consult, or take it back to the dealer?

• cubera

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

I would make sure the battery is 100% and also take off the starter and grease the gear mechanism.

• Pierre-Luc Bossé

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

i only use my starter when the engine is hot. No problem so far , thing is so easy to kick that the starter is only there when im feeling lazy

• cubera

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

Nice to have a working Estart in terrain like this. My 300 is a tad more stall prone with desert gearing (14/48) but is amazingly versatile. GREAT bike!

Here's one form today with a little faster terrain:

Edited by cubera, 26 September 2010 - 06:41 PM.

• mamba274

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:16 AM

Interesting to note this problem is still being reported on the new models. I have a 2008 and the starter worked fine for about 6 months then it started binding, screeching. I have yet to see a credible reply with a fix. KTM issued a service bulletin for a couple of spacers to improve the engaging of the gears, but this did not help. The local dealer did not know about the bulletin, so they were no help. Cheaper for me to swap parts than to pay them to do it and learn on my dime. I replaced the starter because the spines on the shaft are softer than the gears, so a few false starts and the wear is terrible. I replaced the bendix also to no avail. I now suspect the problem is possible play in the housing bushing allowing the starter to bind. I have yet to see specs regarding the starter assembly or how to remedy this problem. The starter is a problem/weak link on an otherwise great bike. I can’t believe KTM is not responding to this issue.

Keep me posted on your findings.
Good Luck

• Layton

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

struggles to start, sometimes sounds like starter disengages from flywheel weight and spins freely. I have maybe 20 hrs on the bike,:smirk::ride: any help appreciated

Sounds like the problems I had with my 09. I replaced the stock battery with a 7 series and that fixed everything.

• ktmfred300

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

The cover has a breather hole that allows crap to come in so cleaning and lubing with a light grease is a must. A fully charged battery or a bigger one like the YTZ7 helps too. Some say the Slavins mod is the way to go because you seal the cover and add 3 oz. of ATF which makes the starter turn easier and no maintence.

• hrpufinstuff

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

Little FYI, the 2011 does the same thing. 10 hours on the bike, fully charged, warm engine. I'm pulling the system, saving 9 pounds and using the kick starter. I just wish we didn't need to pay $110 extra(for a 2010 cover) to remove the e-start.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

Yep...the starters are a weak point in an otherwise excellent dirty bike.

My '08 300 XCW requires regular starter maintenance. Fortunately, I have never had a failure and all the starter components are OEM original...and it works perfectly.

I clean the starter motor, and lubricate the gears, etc. everytime I wash the bike (which is after every ride session). I've done it so many times now, it's routine. I hardly think about it anymore.

I use Belray waterproof grease on the gears. I think it provides excellent lubrication and protects from moisture better than white lithium. You have to clean out the pasty white assembly lube crap they put in at the factory.

• ktmfred300

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

Little FYI, the 2011 does the same thing. 10 hours on the bike, fully charged, warm engine. I'm pulling the system, saving 9 pounds and using the kick starter. I just wish we didn't need to pay $110 extra(for a 2010 cover) to remove the e-start.

Have you tried cleaning and lube yet? The Slavens mod works really well with very little maintance. I had a 250 that would start cold the 300 never. After more time on the 300 it will start eaiser. The Slavens is the way to go a lot cheaper too than pulling the starter out. Just my 2 cents.

• mamba274

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

The Slavin solution for lubrication, does look like the correct approach. The problem is the starter is binding even when lubed. We need information on what the tolerances are for the bushing and spacers. Without spec's we are just swapping parts and once you hit the starter to test, the parts can be damaged quickly, specifically the splines on the starter shaft. I just cannot believe KTM cannot respond to this obvious problem.

• canuckwr250

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

I bought a 2010 last weekend,it has the same problem.I did the slavens mod tonight,we will see what happens once my battery is fully charged.In a newer video slaven suggests only to put one ounce of fluid in because if there is too much it puckes out.

• hrpufinstuff

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

Have you tried cleaning and lube yet? The Slavens mod works really well with very little maintance. I had a 250 that would start cold the 300 never. After more time on the 300 it will start eaiser. The Slavens is the way to go a lot cheaper too than pulling the starter out. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the info, but no I haven't tried any mods or even looked inside. A new side cover is on the way. When I bought the bike, I was on the fence between an sx or an xc so removing the starter and battery will bring it one step closer. The bike never stalls and feels heavy compared to my 08 yz 250f so I'm hoping that you can feel the weight savings. With the battery so far from the center of gravity, maybe removing it will help.

• mamba274

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:36 AM

Keep me posted on your findings. I wanted to wait on the Slaven setup until I found the correction to the binding problem. Dealing with fluid in the cover, if I have to keep replacing parts, is one more complication. Sure would like to find what tolerances KTM is using for the starter parts to help pin-point the problem. I suspect once there is wear the alignment changes causing the problems. The lubrication approach delays the wear and tear.

• ktmfred300

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

If it is indeed binding you can get shims to deal with that. From my experience its mostly the stock thick lube and or low battery causeing problems but I have also seen shim problems as well. And very rarely a warped cover. But once the Slavens mod is done the starters work a whole lot better with less maintence. I sold my 08 but it never really gave me any problems but I cleaned and lubed and I used the stock battery fully charged. It still is working fine with its new owner. Several friends have done the Slavens with good results.

• darryl581

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

heres my theory you spend 7000 on an electric start bike and it only works occasionally or you have to do this slavens mod, i think this is a joke. The bike should start in gear hot or cold not half of the time. Cheap way to remove starter is to get an rfs 4 stroke electric starter plug on older 450 sx's fits in the starter opening for 10 bucks dont need to buy a new ignition cover

• cubera

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

That's odd my starter has worked perfect since day one. I have 107 hours on the 2010 300XC-W now.

• canuckwr250

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

I did the slavens mod and no more problems,but I think it has to do mostly with having a fully charged battery or bigger battery.

• zimm17

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

Can anyone confirm the 2010 starter is different than previous years? I thought I read something about an improved starter. Mine is toast and has been removed, but I'm tempted to put a new starter in there with a slavens mod for when I'm really tired on the trail and stop the bike every 10 mins waiting for other riders to catch up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.