Waterpump telltale hole leak!

2 replies to this topic
  • swifty_ano

Posted September 24, 2010 - 01:54 AM

yes, another waterpump leaking thread.

I have searched the forum and found this to be quite a common problem. I am wanting to repair this on a budget.

Can I just replace the front seal as it is only leaking coolant and no oil. No water in the oil either.

If i can replace the front seal, do i have to take the side cover off?

Anyone give a how to guide?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DSM_Tambo

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:34 AM

You'll have to remove the clutch cover, since you will have to remove the impeller to be able to change the seal.

Might as well change all the parts while you're at it.

Consult this, down the page, all the necessary parts are listed:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440631

• wondermuscle

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:41 AM

yes, another waterpump leaking thread.

I have searched the forum and found this to be quite a common problem. I am wanting to repair this on a budget.

Can I just replace the front seal as it is only leaking coolant and no oil. No water in the oil either.

If i can replace the front seal, do i have to take the side cover off?

Anyone give a how to guide?

I don't have a how to gude but I can tell you that I have had my fair share of water pumps go south. I have learned to always replace the shaft, bearing, and both seals. It is cheap insurance, but if you don't ride into the middle of nowhere then you can probably afford to try and replace the water seal only.

Drain the coolant > pull the water pump cover > Remove the impeller> remove the water seal.

When you have the old seal off, check the shaft for debris. Clean it with a paper towl and some carb cleaner, but DON't spray the cleaner right onto the shaft, you want to avoid getting solvants on any seals if possible. Although, it would probably be fine. Once the shaft is clean, put some grease on the shaft and lightly press the new water seal over the shaft. And button her up.

:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.