2000 vs 2001 ignition

4 replies to this topic
  • Le_Racer

Posted February 19, 2001 - 11:34 AM

I've made some experimentation with ignition and I'm now running a 2000 box on my 2001, pull a bit better on top than the 2001.
Does anybody have tried it to confirm my finding?
I didn't have access to a dyno with my 2001 but my seat of the pant I'd guess that I was about 2 hp behind what I had with my 2000, I'm running the same ported head with OS valves and I went back to my last year pipe also, with the 2000 ignition it still is a bit slower than my 2000 but I'm getting closer.
I'm puzzled as to where I'm loosing that power, any guess to direct me, time is limited, I only have 2 races left to make up the point I need to defend my title...

• mikeolichney

Posted February 19, 2001 - 01:16 PM

I am one of those guys that had to swap CDIs to get my 01 to stop fouling plugs. The shop checked and told me that the 00 and 01 CDI box is the same part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted February 19, 2001 - 01:45 PM

a friend of mine road raced for twenty years. he had a trade account with fowlers of bristol. why? coz he used to check the revcounters for accuracy & the rev limiters for which would go the highest. guess who got to keep the high running ignitions & guess what the customers got!

• Moto-Mike

Posted February 19, 2001 - 03:29 PM

Hey-Mikeolichney I've been thinking of asking you about your CDI swap...I know initially you were pretty sure it fixed your plug fouler. So it sounds like you are convinced that it cured your problem. I finally got my coil that I thought was bad and it turned out to be OK. Operator error on measuring ohms. I learned to pull the plug cap off the end of the coil when measuring resistance. It makes a big difference on the reading. Oh well I plan on ordering the new CDI very soon.

• Le_Racer

Posted February 20, 2001 - 10:49 PM

The rev limiter comes in at 11 250 just the same with either boxes, it's the way that it climb up there that is different, I was told that they changed the curve to help starting and it look like there is some other changes in the overall mapping, the 2001 doesn't pull as hard from mid to top, I had a big track to test on and there was a significant difference with the 2000 box, last year I was pulling 15/48 gearing and hitting the rev limiter, sunday I wasn't pulling 15/49, it was some better after I switched back to the 2000 CDI but still slower than last year by a couple of mph on the radar; 96 mph compared to 98 last year, not fun when you run against big bore KX and CR 500 and 600 Rotax that will pull over 100 mph!

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.