Leaking fork seals

18 replies to this topic
  • downin

Posted September 22, 2010 - 03:07 PM

I have an 09 yz450f and it has about 20-25 hours on it. I have noticed lately that the fork seals have been seeping. I do what the shop manual says and clean them after each ride but they still seep while im riding. Is it normal for them to seep at all or am i looking at new seals?

• arnego2

Posted September 22, 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hello there
How do you clean them? I use a finger of a small and slim plastic film about the thickness of a photo film. If that does not help you will need new seals. It is not really hard to change when having the tools. Her is video how to do in > video

Regards
Arnego2

• downin

Posted September 22, 2010 - 03:32 PM

I use a goggle tear off and fits up in perfect. I kinda figured that once they start leaking its time for new ones thanks.

• crf450319

Posted September 22, 2010 - 03:43 PM

Edited by crf450319, September 23, 2010 - 08:22 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2010 - 05:15 PM

Rather than film, etc., I use a business card from which I have torn the bottom third off lengthwise. This leaves a torn, "fuzzy" edge that removes dirt better than just film.

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted September 22, 2010 - 06:34 PM

very easy job!!! i had never touched suspension myself up until a couple works ago. i also bought the tools mentioned above and they dont take but like an hour to do both sides and both chambers your first time.
highly recommend buying the complete rebuild kit as well instead of just the seal and wiper all that and some oil and you will still be cheaper than the local shop and you'll have the tools for the innevitable.

• Subby

Posted September 25, 2010 - 09:22 AM

SD,
Where do you buy the rebuild kit?

Thanks,
Subby

• downin

Posted September 25, 2010 - 11:16 AM

I finally got all the dirt and mud out of the seals and they dont leak a bit.

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted September 25, 2010 - 11:13 PM

glad to hear you got it. i wasnt so lucky on my attempt. you can pick them up from denniskirk though for future reference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crush6742

Posted September 26, 2010 - 03:44 PM

I was just getting ready to start a similar thread. I have an '08 yz450f and just noticed that my forks were leaking oil today. Should I try to clean up around the seals first, or should I just take it into the shop to be fixed? If I take it in the shop, what is should I expect to pay to have this fixed?

• downin

Posted September 26, 2010 - 04:18 PM

I would try cleaning them before id have them rebuilt.

• crush6742

Posted September 26, 2010 - 04:29 PM

What did you use to clean yours with? I'll give that a try first.

• downin

Posted September 26, 2010 - 05:23 PM

I used a google tearoff and slid it up in each fork and went the whole way around them in a sweeping manner. I had to repeat a couple times to get all the mud and dirt.

• BBrown626

Posted September 26, 2010 - 06:37 PM

I was just getting ready to start a similar thread. I have an '08 yz450f and just noticed that my forks were leaking oil today. Should I try to clean up around the seals first, or should I just take it into the shop to be fixed? If I take it in the shop, what is should I expect to pay to have this fixed?

Don't pay a penny! Spend a few bucks getting the fork tube wrench and a seal driver from rockymountain and buy a set of seals from them too. Watch a video or two and dig into those forks. They are really easy to replace. The first time you replace the seals the savings will more than pay for the tools. :ride::thumbsup::banghead:

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted September 26, 2010 - 06:52 PM

for me it was easy. i went to the shop and got a quote as i didnt have the proper fork tools. quote was 140-190 depending on if the bushings needed to be changed or not.

so i did it myself

motion pro seal driver/bullet -48
tusk wrench and cap thingy - 20
oil-15
msr seals -24
$107

bring on the next leak i am ready!!!!!

watch the video on rocky mountain as already stated , read the manual and get er done.

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2010 - 08:15 PM

What did you use to clean yours with? I'll give that a try first.

Start by reading the whole thread. The question was asked and answered earlier.

• crush6742

Posted September 27, 2010 - 07:00 AM

I read the thread. Downin said he was using the tear off to clean his seals. But that didn't seem to work. I was under the impression he had given up on this method. You mentioned using the buniness card as a better solution after that. I wasn't sure if he switched to the business card method with better results. I don't have any tear off.

• downin

Posted September 27, 2010 - 01:28 PM

I didnt need to use a buisness card, just a tear off but like i said i had to repeat a couple times to get all the mud and dirt out.

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted September 27, 2010 - 02:04 PM

i cleaned mine with 35mm negatives. worked for an hour or so and started leaking again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.