Cheap essential 2010 mod

9 replies to this topic
  • fraser

Posted September 22, 2010 - 02:34 PM

I did this soon as I got mine as some of our tracks throw up a lot of rocks. The water hose on the lower right hand side of the engine is very exposed with no exhaust to protect it. I got an extra piece of rad hose, split it and zip tied it over the downwards pipe. Double thickness means it's protected. I've seen two other '10s hole that pipe in recent weeks from stone damage.

• brentn

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:01 AM

Good idea, post a pic!

• fraser

Posted September 24, 2010 - 01:13 AM

Here you go, not that clear but hopefully visible

Posted Image

• BBrown626

Posted September 24, 2010 - 03:14 PM

A Lightspeed carbon skid plate would work better, but your solution is pretty cheap.

• Steel Panther

Posted September 24, 2010 - 04:28 PM

js7's bike had the same mod at unadilla

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fraser

Posted September 25, 2010 - 07:23 AM

Wouldn't surprise me, that JS is ALWAYS copying me :ride::banghead: :worthy:

• sean3239

Posted September 25, 2010 - 05:44 PM

A Lightspeed carbon skid plate would work better, but your solution is pretty cheap.

I have the full LS skid plate and it doesn't cover that part..it comes up to the bottom of that hose. Is there another one that does?

• BBrown626

Posted September 25, 2010 - 11:11 PM

I have the full LS skid plate and it doesn't cover that part..it comes up to the bottom of that hose. Is there another one that does?

How is covering the hose going to keep you from getting a hole in the pipe? I think you are good with the LS skid plate. How do you like it?

• brentn

Posted September 26, 2010 - 02:49 PM

It's going to help because it's that much thicker now, pretty simple to see that.
It's not the best protection for a hose, but it will decrease the CHANCES that the hose will tear from something on the trails..

• sean3239

Posted September 26, 2010 - 04:40 PM

How is covering the hose going to keep you from getting a hole in the pipe? I think you are good with the LS skid plate. How do you like it?

So far, I like it. The price is pretty high but it is fairly light and looks good. It covers the water pump but doesn't go high enough to cover that hose.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.