Bottom end issue?

6 replies to this topic
  • sdime400

Posted September 22, 2010 - 01:28 PM

delete

Edited by sdime400, September 29, 2010 - 04:34 PM.

• sacfelix

Posted September 22, 2010 - 02:00 PM

It sounds to me like it's the rod. The blue discoloration you see on the crank is normal. I would replace the crank bearings, either replace with a new O.E.M unit or have a new rod installed on the existing crank but check the teeth on the crank where the timing chain goes and if they are worn replace the whole unit, timing chain, piston and rings, I would check the cylinder for scratches based on how the skirt looks on that piston, and since you will have the head off replace the valve seals. As for the filter, I would think it collapsed because it got clogged from all the particilates and caused the crank to run dry there fore spinning the rod bearing. You will want to give the lower end a good cleaning also since it's full of metalic particles.

• sdime400

Posted September 22, 2010 - 04:43 PM

thanks for the quick response and advice. now i just have to decide if i should dump the money into it or just part with her :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sacfelix

Posted September 22, 2010 - 08:19 PM

I just rebuilt my 06 YZ450 with all parts from ebay and I spent $800 total on a OEM crank, cylinder, piston kit, gasket and seal kit, timing chain, stage 1 hot cams, new cam chain tensioner and crank bearings. I did all the work myself and it took me 3 full days of taking my time and doing it right.

• erickdj

Posted September 23, 2010 - 03:59 PM

thanks for the quick response and advice. now i just have to decide if i should dump the money into it or just part with her :ride:

I see it's a steel framed bike and if your screen name is an indication of what bike it is (wr400f) then you'd be better off parting it on ebay or craigslist. In my opinion anything less than an '03 should probably be parted out in the event of damage like this. That is unless you're really attached to that bike and plan on keeping it in the very long run.

• matt4x4

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:20 AM

I did a full bottom end rebuild, bore to 420, replate, piston, bearings ,gaskets etc etc. for 600 total
You can get a rod kit for a little over 100, guessing with all associated things such as crank balance, gaskets etc, you can probably fix it for 200, and a running bike is worth WAY more than a busted bike if you're going to sell it...you already have it apart...your choice...

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:30 AM

I see it's a steel framed bike and if your screen name is an indication of what bike it is (wr400f) then you'd be better off parting it on ebay or craigslist. In my opinion anything less than an '03 should probably be parted out in the event of damage like this. That is unless you're really attached to that bike and plan on keeping it in the very long run.

Why throw it away and start over? That could be pricey. He has about an $800 problem here. If you can get a new bike for $800, then get pay that, and start riding again. After that first ride, you'll feel real good about it.

I know with my bike, I have so much invested in seats, fenders, graphics, suspension work, clamps and my cockpit that I would cost me 2 or 3 times as much just to upgrade the other stuff. Believe it or not, that is the real value in my bike.

Fix the thing, keep riding. If it is in fact a wr400, then obviously you've gotten 10 years out of it. It will last another 10.

Now... if you wanted a new bike anyways, then don't waste the $800 on this old one.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.