Mounting a Moose

15 replies to this topic
  • pismowr

Posted September 22, 2010 - 10:11 AM

No No not a live moose:smirk:. I am trying a moose foam insert in my rear 18 inch wheel with a new tire, and it went in fairly easily but can`t seem to get all the bead popped on. I tried some soap and then riding it around but one side is just being stuborn. I`d like to hear some trick`s for getting it on. Getting it on with the bead that is not the live moose:smirk: Thank`s in advance.

Andy

• MOTOPHILE

Posted September 22, 2010 - 10:24 AM

Never used the inserts before... Guess it makes it so that you can't push the opposite bead you are working on into the middle of the rim? I would concentrate on getting slack by getting the opposite bead as close to center of rim as possible by whatever means. C-clamp maybe?

• woods-rider

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:44 AM

How far off is the bead from being even? How long and hard did you ride it? If it's not in danger of coming off the rim then just go for a good long hard ride and I bet it will seat its self.

• pismowr

Posted September 24, 2010 - 06:19 AM

It`s pretty far off the bead, maybe the distance between the two beadlock`s the rest is all seated. I am going to try backing off the the lock`s and recentering the tire, then go for a hard ride like you said. Maybe some dish soap would help.

• woods-rider

Posted September 24, 2010 - 09:31 AM

Soapy water is always a good idea when dealing with tire beads.

• oldmanx

Posted September 24, 2010 - 09:37 AM

3/4's of the battle is finding a moose that's willing....:ride:

• Baja trail Rider

Posted September 24, 2010 - 12:36 PM

Dont ever put soapy water on the tire to mount.It will slip when you go in water.Put the air chuck nozzle in where the valve stem used to be.Putting air in around bib moose and inside tire hit the bead out with a bar or hammer.They say not to use the rim lock,but use it with the bib.

• mikenash

Posted September 24, 2010 - 04:46 PM

Dont ever put soapy water on the tire to mount.It will slip when you go in water.Put the air chuck nozzle in where the valve stem used to be.Putting air in around bib moose and inside tire hit the bead out with a bar or hammer.They say not to use the rim lock,but use it with the bib.

what he said!!!:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pismowr

Posted September 25, 2010 - 06:25 AM

Maybe a some WD-40?

• woods-rider

Posted September 27, 2010 - 07:51 PM

Dont ever put soapy water on the tire to mount.It will slip when you go in water.

Thats what rim locks are for. You have two stock on the rear, use 'em.

• pismowr

Posted September 28, 2010 - 06:15 AM

Baja trail Rider it worked thank you very much. Before my Sunday ride I loosened both bead lock`s and let the tire settle. I gave it a good douse of wd-40 the hit it with air nozzle and she popped right on, so I tightened up the lock`s again and off I went. Took my old WR426 on a killer mountain ride. Whoopie!!!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestion`s

• oabike

Posted September 28, 2010 - 06:20 AM

Here is how it's done. Shouldn't take you more than 3 minutes!

http://www.dirtbikem...74C396427ACD16D

• pismowr

Posted September 29, 2010 - 06:30 AM

Here is how it's done. Shouldn't take you more than 3 minutes!

http://www.dirtbikem...74C396427ACD16D

I was there checking him out doing that, were you there too ? I noticed he didnt have beadlock`s in there. He`s fast :smirk:

• Baja trail Rider

Posted September 29, 2010 - 09:02 AM

Hey Good deal PM . I dont like to use soap or Wd40 to mount.Even with 2 rim locks After water crossings still had tire slip on rim.So I just use plain water to mount.

• jcbikes

Posted September 29, 2010 - 02:48 PM

I am not kidding...try some crisco on the bead. works great for tough 17" street bike beads to get on.

• Flagstaff

Posted October 05, 2010 - 07:44 PM

I've always had more trouble with stiff knobbies than radial streets 190's or 120's. I use mostly water with a touch of dish soap.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.