WR450 AIS removal kit?

11 replies to this topic
  • gsev

Posted September 22, 2010 - 06:57 AM

I have just become the new owner of a very low hour 2006 WR450F. This bike is really sweet. Apparently it has set in someones garage for the past several years. It still has the AIS sytem on it as well as the snorkel in the air box. I was planning on purchasing the GYT-R AIS removal kit -- but it seems to have been backordered forever. Any idea where I can find this kit? If I can not find that kit is there another kit for removal of the AIS? Also any suggestions on jetting and replacing the thottle stop?

Thanks
gsev

• MaddogYZ

Posted September 22, 2010 - 07:00 AM

Look in the thumpertalk store, thumpertalk makes their own kit that is better than the GYTR.

• gsev

Posted September 23, 2010 - 07:28 AM

It looks like that the TT store no longer sells the AIS removal.
Also, Is it better to buy a YZ throttle stop screw or to shorten the WR throttle stop?
gsev

• MaddogYZ

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:01 AM

If you don't own a vice and hacksaw then I'd buy the screw, otherwise its the same net result.

• William1

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:53 AM

If you do cut it, make sure the length is correct. Too long and you will not get full throttle, too short and the throttle can go over senter and jamb as well as cause jetting issues with the needle rising more than it should. I also rec. rounding the cut end and burnishing it. But I still simply buy the correct screw when I do them.

• gsev

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:59 AM

William1,

Does it matter what year YZ450 throttle stop screw I buy for my 2006 WR450?
Do you happen to have a part number?

Thanks,
gsev

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted September 23, 2010 - 12:51 PM

Nope

Throttle Stop 5JG-14591-00-00

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted December 09, 2012 - 01:22 PM

It looks like that the TT store no longer sells the AIS removal.
Also, Is it better to buy a YZ throttle stop screw or to shorten the WR throttle stop?
gsev

Are any of the AIS removal plugs for the 2005-06 WR450s available from anyone? I have done a fair bit of searching and came up dry so far...

I just picked up a low hour 2005 WR450 but the AIS system has been "disabled" in a very amateurish way. I want to fix this and block it properly.

I don't want to use the GYTR kit since it costs too much for what I need (only the large hole at the exhaust needs blocking) and the way it blocks it off seems a bit hokey.

The plug pounded into the hole is a nice, "set-it-and-forget-it" solution.

Any of these plugs still available anywhere or does anyone know the dimensions so a substitute could be found or fabricated?

• CROGGR

Posted December 09, 2012 - 02:50 PM

Are any of the AIS removal plugs for the 2005-06 WR450s available from anyone? I have done a fair bit of searching and came up dry so far...

I just picked up a low hour 2005 WR450 but the AIS system has been "disabled" in a very amateurish way. I want to fix this and block it properly.

I don't want to use the GYTR kit since it costs too much for what I need (only the large hole at the exhaust needs blocking) and the way it blocks it off seems a bit hokey.

The plug pounded into the hole is a nice, "set-it-and-forget-it" solution.

Any of these plugs still available anywhere or does anyone know the dimensions so a substitute could be found or fabricated?

The plug is only part of the gytr kit as it comes with a pilot jet, main jet, and air jet, and a performance needle. The kits do vary but work extremely well!

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted December 09, 2012 - 03:43 PM

The GYTR plug is a cap that goes on the pipe on the engine and is secured with a hose clamp. Not a big fan of this solution.

The other kits (including the one that was available on the TT store) was a male plug that you pounded into the hole in the cylinder head after removing the AIS plumbing. This is the solution I prefer since it is cleaner and less likely to ever leak.

Don't need the other stuff in the GYTR kit since all that has already been done to the bike.

• diekatze450

Posted December 10, 2012 - 05:25 AM

No kit actually needed. You just need to unplug a hose and a pipe, and cover 2 holes, Follow the instructions in the forum, very low skill required.
It´s good to have the YZ needle and thortle stop screw that come with the kit, but it has nothing to do with removing AIS.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted December 11, 2012 - 09:56 AM

No kit actually needed. You just need to unplug a hose and a pipe, and cover 2 holes, Follow the instructions in the forum, very low skill required.
It´s good to have the YZ needle and thortle stop screw that come with the kit, but it has nothing to do with removing AIS.

All that has already been done... the previous owner jury rigged closing the pipe so I want to remove it and use the plug that goes into the head.

Nice, clean, permanent solution... but can't find the plug anywhere

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.