Need advice for more bottom end

15 replies to this topic
  • jesse2982

Posted September 21, 2010 - 11:03 PM

looking to get some more low to bottom end out of my 09 yz450f. need some opinions on exhausts. i am thinking about getting the yoshimura rs-2 full exhaust found it for $420.00 shipped anyone have any experience with it?. Or would re gearing and dropping a tooth of the back be better . any help would great thanks guys

• rcdude33

Posted September 22, 2010 - 04:54 AM

I wouldn't really Waste your money on an exhaust.
Go up one or two teeth on the rear sprocket if u can. Or look up on google this:

Type in Chad sanners eleven ten mods

then u should be able to go to their home page. They do a carb mod for like $150 and it adds 2 1/2 hp. And it takes away any bog as well. My buddy got it done on his 250f yz 2008 and it really added some low end

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2010 - 08:33 AM

I wouldn't really Waste your money on an exhaust. ...

(Chad Sanners does) a carb mod for like $150 and it adds 2 1/2 hp. And it takes away any bog as well. My buddy got it done on his 250f yz 2008 and it really added some low end

First, regarding the exhaust, almost any slip-on or full system, either one, will add anywhere from 4-8 HP at around 5000-5500 on an '08 or '09 YZ450, simply because the OEM muffler is a piece of junk designed to be cute rather than functional. Even a stock '06 or '07 system will improve them considerably. Not many of them will add much significant power on top, but that's not what the OP wants, anyway.

Second, I don't know where you got the 2 1/2 HP number from, but let me say succinctly but as politely as possible, "BS". The only carb mod that would produce anything like that is boring it oversize, and that's not likely to give those kind of results without adding in port work and a compatible exhaust, anyway.

This is from Sanner's site:

FCR Carb Mod (four-strokes only)- Using the right combination of 8 mods & adjustments, this mod increases throttle response thus eliminating any bogging. Package includes mod and all parts necessary. ...

...No mention of any power increase. Probably the same thing that Zip-Ty's been doing for 3 years; modified emulsion tube and an accelerator pump tune-up. Pass. The '09 doesn't need this, and it won't accomplish what the OP wanted.

To compliment the exhaust, add a CDI unit from an '06, and if that's still not enough, buy an exhaust cam from an '06 to go with it. Adding flywheel weight will smooth out the power delivery at very low speeds and make it pull better down low, also, all with no noticeable penalty.

• crf450319

Posted September 22, 2010 - 09:00 AM

Edited by crf450319, September 23, 2010 - 08:23 AM.

• Steel Panther

Posted September 22, 2010 - 11:01 AM

I have a fmf megabomb and 4.1 system on my 09 and it made a huge difference, it now feels like power is available and smoother in any rpm.

• Family Man

Posted September 22, 2010 - 10:54 PM

Grey, the noticeable penalty I've felt on a bike with a flywheel weight is a loss of flick-ability in the air, the bike wants to go straight and upright. Not as manuverable in the air. I agree The stock 08-09 pipe is in fact a pile of BS. However, I have seen a National pro level rider going really fast with the stock pipe on his stock 08. The 07 pipe is usable but an aftermarket system will yield more noticeably more bottom end. I went with the now defunct white brothers Aluminum pro 2 and have been greatly impressed with the improvement.

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2010 - 06:31 AM

... I have seen a National pro level rider going really fast with the stock pipe on his stock 08.

The question wasn't whether or not one could go fast with the stock pipe, it was how to get more mid range power, and changing the pipe will do that.

I'm not buying the flickability thing, either. I have a 9oz GYT-R FW on mine and my son's is stock. Neither of us can tell the difference in that regard. As a percentage change in the total rotating mass of the crank, the change is very small and the effect it has is subtle.

• lilbob

Posted September 24, 2010 - 08:57 AM

i put a yoshie slip on and it made noticable gain. the bottem end inital throttle response
is awsome. i also just put on a gytr fly wheel weight and did not notic as much dirrerence. i would go with the exhaust. i have an 09 yz 450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto623x

Posted February 07, 2011 - 11:47 AM

lilbob,

Did your Yoshie slip on fit right up to you 09? I have been hearing that the stock header is too big and the slip on's wont work....did you have these issues or did you bolt it right up to your stock header?

• rickallen124

Posted February 07, 2011 - 12:07 PM

I had a Yoshimura RS-2 full system on my '08 YZ450F and it made a huge difference- more power everywhere and quicker throttle response. It's a great pipe especially at that price.

• Gunner354

Posted February 07, 2011 - 01:16 PM

I have 2 09 yz450's.
First we changed the pipe to a DrD big improvement but we wanted more snap off the bottom. We then installed an 06 cdi. Just about right. Very happy. I then I put an Edelbrock on my 450 and when I got it tuned, it has even more overall power than the one without one.

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2011 - 01:23 PM

What is the bore size of the Edelbrock?

• Gunner354

Posted February 07, 2011 - 01:44 PM

What is the bore size of the Edelbrock?

40 mm

Edited by Gunner354, February 07, 2011 - 02:06 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Just curious. The YZ450 responds pretty well to bigger carbs, and some will use the 41mm FCR-MX from a CRF with good results. Ron Hamp bores them even larger, I believe.

One of the guys that I race with has an Edelbrock on an XR650R, and he says it never ran so good. Of course, that was a different carb to start with.

They can be a pain to tune sometimes, and I'm personally so much more familiar with the FCR that I just don't want to bother with them, but when you get them right, they do seem to work.

• howard113

Posted February 07, 2011 - 02:46 PM

-full system pipe of choice
-stage 1 hot cams(intake and exhaust)
-+2 teeth on the rear sprocket
-high comp piston
.....now that would be a nice setup!!

• Gunner354

Posted February 07, 2011 - 03:51 PM

Just curious. The YZ450 responds pretty well to bigger carbs, and some will use the 41mm FCR-MX from a CRF with good results. Ron Hamp bores them even larger, I believe.

One of the guys that I race with has an Edelbrock on an XR650R, and he says it never ran so good. Of course, that was a different carb to start with.

They can be a pain to tune sometimes, and I'm personally so much more familiar with the FCR that I just don't want to bother with them, but when you get them right, they do seem to work.

I have ran them and tuned them on many different bikes and quads. To be honest I was going to leave the stock carb on because the jetting on the other yz

runs well everywhere but my stock carb gave me major troubles while out in Mojave so Idecided to change it out with the Edelbrock I had laying around. It was somewhat more difficult to get just right compared to my wr and yfz quad. I now understand this carb very well. One thing I found was that the acc pump was pulling in fuel all the time and effecting the tuning of the needle. I also replaced stock needle with one size leaner and all is good.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.